Is this a Paypal Scam on Gumtree

meeky74
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
Selling my bike for £600 and have received the below email it sounds a bit fishy to me! what should I respond to sound it out?

Thanks,

Alex

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM............read and see if it fits your transaction.

Also you are not covered for buyer protection for items that are collected >>> 

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM............read and see if it fits your transaction.

Also you are not covered for buyer protection for items that are collected >>> 

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

meeky74
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply it seems pretty close to what you are saying.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

SeanieG
New Community Member

Thanks for posting! Just had exactly the same email from "Alex <removed>"

@ON 6 Nov 2015, at 10:11, alex <removed> wrote:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.
I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person.
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

@meeky74 wrote:

Hi
Selling my bike for £600 and have received the below email it sounds a bit fishy to me! what should I respond to sound it out?

Thanks,

Alex

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price becuause i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

Login to Me Too

RuTr
New Community Member

Just to add to this, received a similar email today. I had advertised through MCN, whom I advised....they did not seem too bothered. Not sure what made me check. Copy of email below:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person.

Login to Me Too

MalinAnderson
New Community Member

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME

lucky i looked this up, jesus
Login to Me Too

GergP
New Community Member
Just received this message from 4 separate people. Fail! I thought it was fishy the first time I received it
Login to Me Too

Slav79

Next name of scam <removed>

Login to Me Too

Sclews1902
New Community Member
Hi. I had the exact same email from the exact same person -Ashleigh. I emailed and insisted on cash on collection as I was concerned about the safety of it and unsurprisingly they didn't reply. Has anyone reported it to the police or trading standards?
Login to Me Too

myloginname123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I had an email on Gumtree from "Jade Nelson" when I posted an advert of my car up for sale. The message still says "courier agent" to pick up.. a whole car?

But when I replied and said "cash up front and buyer details on V5C for me to send off", the person still replied back and wanted to know the location of the car.

I'm confused because Paypal has not been mentioned so far??? 

PS, I found this thread because I decided to search the mobile number provided into google. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.