How long will my refund take to clear?

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Here’s how to view the status of your refund:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Activity and locate the refund.
  3. Select the refund to open the 'Transactions Details' page.
  • If you paid with a card, your payment will be refunded to your card. (It may take up to 30 days depending on your bank)
  • If you paid with your bank account or PayPal balance, your payment will be refunded to your PayPal balance

Here are definitions for your refund’s status:

• ‘Completed’: Your refund has been credited to your account
  • ‘Pending’: Your seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. This process can take up to 7 working days to complete
  • ‘Canceled’: The refund could not be completed. Contact the seller for more information
  • 'Placed' and 'Removed': These statuses refer to the temporary hold on a payment rather than the payment itself. A hold is placed on a payment (eg when a refund is pending) and is later removed when the payment either completes or is cancelled. When checking the status of your refund you should refer to the original payment, not the hold

The original payment’s status will show whether the payment has been refunded:

• ‘Refunded’: The entire original payment was credited to your account
  • ‘Partially Refunded’: Part of the original payment was credited to your account

Thanks,

Lucy

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

animalambulance
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I'm a "newbie" to Paypal so please forgive me if I make a mistake.

Last month i paid a shipper by paypal to bring some goods over to London from China for me and in transit a carton got lost.

I raised a dispute and after negotiating we made a deal and the original payment was returned .I say this because on my paypal account it says that it was "Completed" and returned to my card.

My card is a debit card so it should be back in my bank account BUT when i check the account online it is not there-Why?

It is a considerable amount of money-over £370.00 -so I'm a bit worried about it not showing up.

I need to use the refunded money to back up a cheque that I want to write out today to pay a bill but don't want to do this if there is insufficient money in my bank to cover it.

I don't want to pay for a bounced cheque so really need the paypal refund out back into my account quickly-What do i do?

When I paid by paypal the money came out of my account instantly so should it not have returned to it at the same speed?

I sent paypal an email about it yesterday morning as soon as I discovered the problem but as yet have received no reply.

Can anyone please tell me if I'm getting in a stew over nothing and it is just delayed while getting back to my bank account?

THANK YOU in advance for all advice given!!

Michael

Login to Me Too

lee2453
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Michael, I find myself in a similar position as yourself, I bought an item on ebay but due to courier cost I agreed to a refund, the item cost me £118. Like you my money was taken out of my bank account straight away. It as been 8 days now since paypal put a hold notice on the refunded money and then posted a complete notice yesterday on my paypal account but still no money in my bank account. I emailed paypal on Monday and they replied that because the money is not taken from your bank account straight away they send the seller the money then request it from your bank account!!!!! Although my bank can show that the money was taken the same day I authorised payment. and then its vicaversa when money is refunded. I have emailed them again tonight and hope the money will be in my bank account tomorrow.            have just received an email from paypal, hope this helps.                                                                                                     1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click 'Withdraw' at
the top of the page.
3. Click ‘Withdraw GBP faster to your bank account’ or
‘Withdraw funds
to your bank account'.
• The faster withdrawal option offers a quicker service (complete in 1-2
working days) includes a fee of
£5.00 per withdrawal
• Regular withdrawals (complete in 2-3 working days) to
banks in either
the UK or US are free of charge
4. Enter the amount to
withdraw and choose the correct bank account,
then click 'Continue'.
Review the details before completing.
• For ‘Faster Withdrawals’ enter the
‘Wire sort code’ in the required
field
6. Click
'Submit'.

For
your future references, please be informed that when a payment is
refunded,
denied or cancelled, the funds will be returned to you based
on the original
payment method.

• For payments funded with a bank account, the refund
is credited to
your PayPal balance
• For payments sent using a credit or
debit card, the refund is credited
to your card (depending on the card
issuer, it can take up to 30 days
for the refund to be credited to your
card)
• For payments funded with a card and another funding source, PayPal

refunds the card funded portion back to the card and the remainder to

your PayPal balance  
rther to my reply please find attached the email i have just received,

Login to Me Too

animalambulance
Contributor
Contributor

I have now heard from Paypal by email and they tell me it can take up to 30 days to show up back in my bank- normally 7/10 working days.

This to me is not really satisfactory and the system needs to be updated to make the process quicker so that returned funds can return as fast as when money is flowing in the other direction -it goes out instantly.

I understand and appreciate that if funds are returning to a CREDIT card it may not need to be back on there as quick because it is normally run like like a monthly account BUT payments made from or returned to DEBIT cards, which tie up available funds ,I think should be processed faster as most people ,just like me, can't afford the luxury of having money  "in limbo" where it is not usable for anything up to a month.

The refund is showing as "Completed" on my account,and the funds have been returned to my card,but this is not totally accurate as it has not reached it yet.

Perhaps one of the members of this forum who is well established and has a certain amount of Kudos could approach Paypal on behalf of all its clients and suggest that they review their system for refunds to debit card to see if it can be speeded up in any way?

As Paypal exists only because we all pay them fees for our transactions they may be willing to listen and take action if it was possible to do once they were aware of the short-comings and our desire for the process to be made faster.

Login to Me Too

animalambulance
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

Having read the reply to my question another time I am a bit more confused.

Do I need to apply to withdraw money from my account to get it back into my business bank account?

Or as it is a refund will it go back without me taking any action?

I don't want to have to pay £5.00 to withdraw money from my paypal account if it will be done automatically and I certainly don't want to pay a fee if it is avoidable.

Thanks for the advice in advance

Login to Me Too

bubata

how long didi you waut till you received the money back to your acc?

Login to Me Too

AlphaCode
Contributor
Contributor

I just wish that there was a setting so that my money STAYS in PayPal once refunded so that I can just instant transfer it back to my bank!

Login to Me Too

animalambulance
Contributor
Contributor

Problem now Sorted!!

The refund hit my bank account late yesterday -so there is no problem now!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey guys,

When you receive a refund to your card it generally appears back on your card 2 to 3 working days after the refund has completed. Some banks can take up to 30 days to post refunds back, but generally it’s 2 to 3 working days.

Login to Me Too

pininfarina575
Contributor
Contributor

That is total crap by paypal. Total crap. Why is it that when money is taken from their customers account (when payments are made), it is done very quickly, but when money should be returned to the customers account, it takes so long? That is just wrong. I don't care if it's just just systematic delay that's caused by poor process management or what, but that's just crap. Why are customers being withheld their own money. Paypal, you hear this? that's just pure crap.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.