Help Needed - Money Missing from paying with a credit card via paypal

Nick40028
New Community Member

Hi All

I hope someone might be able to help me here.

I paid for some goods to a company via their website,   I was paying with a credit card but the site took the payment via paypal,   i did not sign in to any paypal account for this transaction.

Initially i received a transaction_refused  error but when trying again i got a successful transaction and the company generated an order number which was sent to me in an email.

This morning i received an email from the company saying the order was cancelled / refused.   I checked my credit card and the money has been taken but they have not received the payment   this was for 966 Euros.

Paypal support are not being very helpful in this and i wanted to know what i can do to get this money returned.

Many Thanks in advance

Nick

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nick40028 

Are the transactions on your credit card "Pending"? It means that the authorized funds are on hold. It should take about a week, up to 30 days for the authorization to expire and funds be released if it wasn't captured by the merchant. If it's pending beyond 30 days, contact your card issuer to void the authorization(s).

If the charge was posted/completed, then contact PayPal (hit the bell icon after logging on to PayPal website) with the PayPal email receipt ID number so they can pull up the transaction and associate it to your account and open a dispute for item not received.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nick40028
New Community Member

Hi @sharpiemarker 

Thank you for the quick reply,   i will check the status on my credit card and let you know.

What i find is strange is that when i log in to my account on the company i bought the goods from,  my order status is "Cancelled" and also it says:

The request was refused (TRANSACTION_REFUSED)

So again i dont know where this money would be?  held with Paypal still? 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nick40028 

The funds are put on hold at your credit card account awaiting for the merchant to settle. If merchant cancels the order and does not settle or capture payment, the transaction remains at pending status until the hold expires and it drops off from your credit card activity as if transaction didn't happen.

Login to Me Too

Nick40028
New Community Member

Hi @sharpiemarker 

Thank you very much for this, again i will check my transaction on my account and post back here just to confirm.

You have put my mind at rest a little for sure!   Hopefully the money will be returned automatically in which case as the merchant never received the funds.

Nick

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nick40028 

You're welcome! 😀

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.