Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Payflow LInk Hosted Payments and Cookie SameSite=Lax

Highlighted
Contributor

PayPal Payflow LInk Hosted Payments and Cookie SameSite=Lax

Hi,

I'm surprised I haven't seen this question come up. We are trying to setup PayPal PayFlow Link Hosted Payments with our cookie settings defined as SameSite=Lax. While we can access the PayPal page to enter in the credit card data, the RETURN_URL callback to our site does not re-initiate the previous web session since browser control was handed off to PayPal. The SameSite=Lax cookie setting prevents the existing web session from being loaded. We have tried passing the JSESSIONID to PayPal USER1 custom field and trying to add a cookie with this value, but Tomcat has already created a new cookie and does not use the newly created cookie. We have also tried overriding the cookie to SameSite=None in the response servlet and Apache 2.4 mod_headers httpd-ssl.conf, but it does not override the original cookie settings.

Anyone have any advice on how to resolve this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PayPal Payflow LInk Hosted Payments and Cookie SameSite=Lax

We are having this same problem with dropped session cookies on the payment POST back to our site within PayPal’s iframe; we are setting sameSite=None on both the forms and session cookie and are hosting our site on an Azure Web App service. PayPal should help its customers with information on how to deal with these changes to effectively use its services. 

Highlighted
New Community Member

We are experiencing the same problem. Our site has been working flawlessly for several year. Suddenly our session is cleared when paypal posts back to our page.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi , 

Its not a paypal issue though . For SameSite=Lax , cookies will be sent in GET request initiated by 3rd party website . So in your case , when you getting a response back from paypal , use GET instead of POST request . You can change the call back  url request type  in PayPal Manger . I hope it works for you. 

Good luck !

Vinay

Highlighted
Contributor

We switched the callback to a GET and that helped resolve the majority of our issues; however, we still see at least 6 session drops per day. We are using SameSite=None. Are you saying we should use SameSite=Lax? I thought all browsers are pushing for SameSite=None.
Highlighted
Contributor

Did you get an answer on this? We are struggling with 3 websites that consistently have issues with the auth code posting back.  We believe we've set our cookies as samesite=none;secure, but still having issues.