Failure of server APACHE bridge: cannot write bytes to tmp file /x/httpd/wlProxyTemp/_wl_proxy/

competition
Contributor
Contributor

I am a merchant using PayPal Payflow Link.
Customers inform me often that they see the following error when attempting transaction:
"Failure of server APACHE bridge:
cannot write 2289 bytes to tmp file /x/httpd/wlProxyTemp/_wl_proxy/_post_7627_1
Failure of server APACHE bridge:
Internal Server failure, APACHE plugin. Cannot continue."

This appears to be an Oracle Apache plugin based on googling 'wlProxyTemp/_wl_proxy'.
We don't run Oracle so this does appear to be a PayPal platform issue.

I have no idea what causes this issue, but it occurs frequently enough to be a cause of loss of customer transactions.

This website from 2012 appears to give some insight into the problem, they claim:
"The above error usually comes when there are multiple apache/OHS are running on the same machine.Check if there is any other Apache process using mod_weblogic / mod_wl_ohs in the same box. If that’s the case you will need to define the WLTempDir directive on each Apache / OHS installation to point to different directories so they do not conflict."

Please fix this.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

mpa000
New Community Member

We've been seeing these same errors increase for about a week.  

I DM'd Paypal's Twitter customer support and their answer was less than optimal (para):  "Tell customer to clear cookies and caches, shut off router and try again after a few minutes." 

This reminds me very much of a problem with Payflow Link from almost a decade ago, where certain transactions would just hit a brick wall and blank page at the end.  We never were able to get Paypal to discuss what was going on.  It just eventually stopped happening.  I'm hoping that they'll take a look at it this time rather than let this sit out there.    We're in the middle of our busiest few weeks for a site where most of our customers are mandated to list with us, so this is costing a whole lot of extra customer service AND WE HAVE NOTHING PRACTICAL TO TELL THE AFFECTED PARTIES.

Login to Me Too

mpa000
New Community Member

competition
Contributor
Contributor

@mpa000Yes, I can relate totally. PayPal support are not of any help. Trying to put the issue back onto the customer is ridiculous when its clearly a PayPal issue. I also had this same error about ten years ago, in fact I updated the payment page at that time notifying customers that PayPal were having issues - the message was commented out on my payment page when the problem seemed to disappear, so I've just uncommented it again.

I reported this to Merchant Technical Services and not even an acknowledgement. Service has degraded over the years, not improved unfortunately.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.