Error: Merchant Error. Please use a valid Transaction Type (A or S).

matthewaceware
Contributor
Contributor

So, I am needing to make an API call to paypal with the following information:

TRXTYPE=C&PARTNER=PayPal&LOGIN=<blah>&ORIGID=<blah2>&AMT=<blah3>

(with the login being variable per site, origid being variable per original transaction, and amount being variable based on user select i.e. full amount)

My previous experience led me to believe that an http get request would work. Something like:

https://pilot-payflowlink.paypal.com?TRXTYPE=C&PARTNER=PayPal&LOGIN=<blah>&ORIGID=<blah2>&AMT=<blah3>

I could then read out the result returned from paypal. (Also, I know that this is the test paypal site and would need to update the URL before it goes to production.) However, I am getting something like:

Some required information is missing or incorrect. Please correct the fields below and try again.

• Error: Merchant Error. Please use a valid Transaction Type (A or S).

The problem is, for refunds (which is the whole reason why I am doing this), the TRXTYPE has to be C (for credit). I have double checked my settings and it is set to Allow reference transactions (which is what this is since I am passing the ORIGID).

Any guidance would be appreciated and thank you for your time.

Thanks,

Matthew

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
A refund is not a reference transaction. A reference transaction would be used to process a new payment using previously saved billing details. A refund simply takes the original transaction ID to refund a previous transaction.

Maybe you're thinking of a "non-referenced credit"..?? This would be when you're loading funds to a credit card when you don't have a previous transaction to specifically refund.

Please clarify exactly what you're doing here, and if you can provide the full sample of your request string that would be helpful.
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.