Xoom: requesting documents...be careful.

Baobab33
Contributor
Contributor

HI all, 

I'm a member of Paypal and since they are endorsing Xoom I thought it must be a good service. Their rates also seem to be good, so I tried to join Xoom. I sent numerous documents to be able to register, documents they specify in their list of documents accepted, i.e., driving licence, national ID, certificate of insurance, certificate of taxation, the heading of my bank account etc. They kept asking for more. in the last email they ask for a copy of passport and a whole page of my bank statement (it means showing balances etc). I wouldn't dream of sending these to my granny, never mind to a service provider over the Internet. Why would they be specific in asking a copy of Passport and complete bank statement? 

I smell rat and won't be using them, for sure.

Any comments?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Baobab33 

See this for Europe for additional information Xoom asks for when increasing sending limits:

How do I increase my sending limits?

Here are the sending limits:

How much can I send if live in Europe?

I guess if you want to send more than the limits prescribed, they need to see your bank statement and other docs, if its for real or something and doing their anti-money laundering due diligence. If Xoom is asking for more docs then, you must be wanting to transfer 100,000 EUR and up in bank deposit or 30,000 EUR and up in cash pick up. Some "level 3" stuff.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Baobab33
Contributor
Contributor

That's the thing. I only want to send 100 USD. They took the money, so they knew it was $100, but a week later they returned it as registration wasn't completed. I hope it is not the case of a rogue operator asking too many questions. I also sent an email to Xoom alerting them of this possibility. In this day and age they should know not to ask for some sensitive information.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.