Recent email from PayPal titled "Your Money is Your Choice"

Harpman59
Contributor
Contributor

I've recently received an email with that title and the request is for me to follow the enclosed links and confirm my information in order to keep money in my account. This is more of a rant than it is a question because upon reading the email, I thought it was bogus and an attempt to spam or defraud me...then I looked at at the address and THAT looked legitimate. Specifically, the following was copied from the email:
"Confirm your info to keep money
in your PayPal balance.
If you'd like to keep a PayPal balance, please
take a minute to confirm your info here."

The address was from PayPal but this site won't allow me to copy and paste the actual email address.

Understand, I am following the advice from PayPal, as well as many other secure sites, to NOT respond to this type of email. Even though the address looks valid as PP, I will not confirm my info as there is no benefit from my confirming the information since, I have my account set up the way I like it. I feel that their sending such an email will only lead to confusion by your patrons and PP should not create the types of correspondence that ask you about your information. 

I therefore recommend to you that you cease and desist from this kind of emails in the future. You are wasting MY time, as well as yours by doing so.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harpman59

SOUNDS LIKE A SPOOF EMAIL.

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harpman59

SOUNDS LIKE A SPOOF EMAIL.

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Harpman59
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass IDK, it looks pretty official to me. Here are some screenshots...

PayPal Screenshot_1.pngPayPal Screenshot_2.pngPayPal Screenshot_3.png

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harpman59

Your screen shots won't show for 2 hours when the mods approve them, can you cut paste the messages leaving out any personal identifying info.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Harpman59
Contributor
Contributor

I still haven't decided for myself that the email is a scam or actually sent by Paypal, nor have I gotten any response from PP in regards to the suspect email.  I am leaning towards the fact that it is from PP however so I stand by my final comment in the original post.

I also have not marked this issue as solved but it has somehow been marked that way in MY posting, so as notification to others reading this, i consider that this item "has not been resolved" . 

Since the screenshot of the top of the email I received was denied by admin, I have attempted to alter it so that it is acceptable and re-submit it. I feel that if it is denied again, someone is trying to hide something about the subject.

PayPal Screenshot_1.png

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harpman59

1. I already told you that screenshots take 2 hours to show up as the moderators have to approve them, yours are now showing so no one is trying to hide anything.

2. Only the person that started the thread can mark it as solved so you must have clicked on it to mark it as such, doesn't matter as you can still post to the thread to keep it open.

3. Yes it does look as if they are from paypal so I agree I don't think they should send out emails with links in them to confirm id info and I didn't think they did..........send them to spoof@paypal.com for confirmation as per my first reply to you (in the link).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Harpman59
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass this is how I hear your comment...

"1. I already told you that screenshots take 2 hours to show up as the moderators have to approve them, yours are now showing so no one is trying to hide anything."

Don't talk to me like you're my parent OK, I'm old enough that both of mine are deceased and I don't need replacements so, calm down.

1. I KNOW you said that... and that was 2 days ago and 2 of 3 WERE accepted so, I tried altering and re-submitting it. Is that OK with you? Gee I hope so...

2. If I'm the only one that can mark it as solved, and if it was done in error, of which I'm not disputing that there could have been an errant pressing of a button, where is the button to UN-solve the issue? I've searched for one and I can't find it. Seeing as I'm a newb here maybe you can point that out...

3. Since posting, I have seen no explanation of an email that seemingly was sent by PP that represents the type of email that the public is told to be wary of. Maybe be a result of my post being marked as "solved" therefore being passed over, maybe not, maybe someone in marketing made a mistake and maybe they aren't owning up to that fact...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harpman59

whatever !

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Harpman59
Contributor
Contributor
@PayPal_Frank as admin, can you let me know what it was about an image I've tried uploading twice, that caused it to be denied? I blacked out my personal email address that was on it thinking that was the issue, which btw, that info does show at the top of the two screenshots that we're accepted after the 2 hour waiting period. I've tried uploading it twice because I feel it confirms the origin of the subject of my original post. I'm only curious because as per the community standards that accompanied the message sent denying it, I don't see a reason therefore I understand it's denial.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Harpman59,

Thank you for calling our attention to the problem with the images that were approved for use in the forum. You're correct that the inclusion of any email address in an image is not permitted, based on the Community Guidelines. The images have been removed.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.