PayPal text messaging system not working 100% ?

biuro74
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've experienced some issues with text messages which are not being sent/delivered.

Not sure which one occured, because terrible service people in PayPal simply try to convince me this is not an issue (but issue is a terrible service quality.. I'm not saying the form, but rather about content of their messages, which value fluctuates around 0).

Issue is: not all PayPal (from "short" number 62226) texts (general statement) are coming to my mobile.

Suspected: my phone, my provider, my PayPal account settings, PayPal system.

Test 1: sending money from my wife's PayPal account to my account using "send to" option.

Result 1: both text and email notifications are coming.

Test 2: sending money from my wife's PayPal account using webpage and PayPal's API - shopping cart.

Result 2: text is not coming, email notification is coming.

Test 3: sending money from another PayPal account using webpage and PayPal's API - shopping cart - Ebay listing (so compatible 100% with PayPal).

Result 3: text is not coming, email notification is coming.

So first thing to check - my phone. I've done factory reset, so the system is  clean like new. No blockers, no filters. Tests passed again, with results as described above. So no change. Except phone speedup, which is an unexpected surplus 😉

Next step - my provider which is O2. So I've contacted them and after some chats it appeared all "short" and premium numbers are unlocked. Moreover the consultant underlined the issue is not provider-bounded, only because O2 is not able to differentiate text messages and process only some part of them coming from the same source (PayPal), while not to process the rest of them (coming from the same source) at the same time. So "all or none", it's like binary state: present or not. Just in case I've re-done tests and results are still the same. So no change.

Next step - PayPal account settings. There is Settings->Notifications section here, each positions does have appropriate "email" and "phone" icon. All "blued", so it means options are enabled ("Receive payment" at least - because it's what we are talking about now). I've double checked my mobile number is the only number in the database, and my email address is the only email as well = they are. Quick change of security questions and PayPal sends me a text with confirmation code which arrives with no issues = which means SMS channel is working both from PayPal side (code) and from my side (correct number in PayPal database, no blockers, number allowed). So why re-doing three tests above still causes lacking of texts in case of Test 2 and 3 ? The answer seems to be a result of negation of all components mentioned at the beginning ("Suspected")... and PayPal system apparently stays alone in that list.

Ridiculous are answers given by PayPal representatives, I will quote some:

"

sometimes our system only picks up on activity that we may think is not yours and this can be due to the device you use or the location of where you are logging in for eg. if you log in on your mobile phone its hard to pinpoint the location so therefore the system has to confirm the actions taking are yours.
hope this makes sense."
I leave it with no comment.

Another one:
"our mobile number is an additional form of communication, but not a guaranteed one.
Have you checked with your service provider to make sure premium numbers are not blocked? Our Text number is "62226", and service providers have it blocked on some plans."

(yes, I've explained twice before that some texts are coming, and now I get "this" - brilliant suggestion of blocked numbers). By the way - I am not surprised their SMS system is not working properly, if their representatives reflects SUCH AN ATTITUDE to customer's reports !

I'm about mad, because all story was described to PayPal representatives, which seemed to be just ignored. I've explained how important are text messages, because people do sell stuff on Ebay, for example, where paymets are being done via PayPal. From various reasons, seller wants to rely on payment notifications which should cause item despatching... an sometimes email notification is not an option. SMS system is much more comfortable - and PayPal proves it working as many confirmation codes, or payment notifications SIMPLY COMES IN. The inconsistency is incomprehensible - why some of notifications do arrive, and some don't ? This is a question I'd like to get from technicians... because maybe there's some very simple thing to fix TO MAKE WHOLE SYSTEM WORKING. There's even a chance developers don't know about this, so maybe it is a fixable bug. But how to go through this "wall" which is first line PayPal representative ? I will not comment "beta" stage of SMS channel, which has not been mentioned anywhere that it is not working 100% (!), so I treat it as representative's presumption.

Do you have similar experiences with SMS channel ?

Thank you for any comments. Emotions here are intentional 😉
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Soleuss_
Contributor
Contributor

Whenever I try to log-in my account it says text verification code I wait and look at my phone for a while there's no messages from Paypal. For the first few days there were and sooner or after the next few days they weren't sending anymore text messages through my phone.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.