New IP addresses for IPNs

DavetheCat
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding the notifications from Paypal about the new IP addresses from where their IPNs are being sent - I have been trying to find out where I need to add these.  Our site uses CloudFlare, so I have already whitelisted these new IP's / ranges in our CloudFlare firewall.   However I am unclear if I also need to whitelist these on our own server's Firewall too (we are on a dedicated server).

I have asked our Server host, and they have asked me to confirm if the new IPs need to be allowed through a particular port.  Does anyone know the answer to that, as the Paypal emails don't mention anything about port numbers.

Just also worth saying that we have been receiving Paypal notifications fine so far, we haven't yet encountered an issue. I'm just trying to make sure we don't have an issue ongoing.

Thanks for any advice!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DavetheCat
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update this and close it off - I have resolved this question.....

After much research with Cloudflare and our server host, this still didn't make sense - so I telephoned Paypal's merchant support.  After 20 minutes of head-scratching (theirs), screen-shotting (mine) and talking to their techies, it turns out we don't need to do anything at all!!!!   Paypal had sent me 3 separate emails over the last few weeks, each of them insisting that we had to add these additional IP addresses somewhere, but it now turns out that these were just "blanket" emails sent out to anyone running a webshop that takes Paypal payments, BUT the changes only apply if you are running a "pro" version of their merchant solution (which we aren't!!!!). Anyone running the "standard" version (which we are) the IP filter is taken care of within the application itself. 

So I have to say I am NOT impressed with Paypal sending me emails with "actions" that I didn't need to take, and causing me to spend hours looking into it!  

Login to Me Too

SteveStuartDJ
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so if we're to do nothing and all's fine n' dandy, how come my buyers are getting told that the transaction can't be made (at this moment) and to come back another day? How come PayPal admit that to get a sale go through is hit & miss?
I honestly give up, I've been with PayPal for twenty years, they were always good at sorting problems, now it's a complete shambles.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.