Instant Payment Notification Warning from old IPN URL from WordPress Plugin

CWM-LN
Contributor
Contributor

I run a WordPress website for a nonprofit arts organization. I have just received a PayPal Instant Payment Notification warning.  I checked my PayPal IPN history, and indeed there are several notifications listed as "retrying" or "failed."  All of these are using an IPN URL connected to a WorldPress donation plugin that I am no longer using.  Furthermore, all of these are produced by preapproved, recurring payments for monthly donations that were created via the old WordPress plugin (Seamless Donations).

I have deleted that old WorldPress plugin and replaced it by a new one, called Donorbox.  I have deleted from our PayPal account the old IPN address, used by the old Seamless Donations plugin, and added a new IPN address for the new Donorbox plugin.  Yet those long-standing, recurring payments seem to still be using the old IPN address from the old plugin.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm worried because the IPN Warning email from PayPal says "If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account."

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ishk
Contributor
Contributor

We are also receiving IPN warnings from an old URL that we stopped using several years ago, and it was of course updated in the Paypal settings.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Hi @CWM-LN & @ishk,

Thank you for contacting PayPal community.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately, you can't able to update/change the IPN url mentioned in your old recurring payments. Once you create a recurring profile with an IPN url it can't be changed. PayPal will send the IPN response accordingly.

In order to stop this, you can cancel unwanted old recurring profiles. 

Though you have updated the NEW_IPN_URL in your PayPal account, sometimes merchants will still pass the OLD_IPN_URL in the website request call as "notify_url". 

The OLD_IPN_URL passed in "notify_url" will override the NEW_IPN_URL marked in your PayPal account. I request to please cross check your website API request parameters and the "notify_url" value that your passing to PayPal system. 

Thank you for understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal, Inc.

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.