IPN was not sent, and the handshake was not verified. Please review your information.

Username555
Contributor
Contributor

I get this error every single time I want to try and test the IPN simulation.

The listener code I have is very simple:

<?php

file_put_contents('export.txt', var_export($_POST,true));

?>

I have this uploaded on my servers, which have valid and certified SSL.

I type in the URL to the listener, and choose express checkout.

I click 'Send IPN'  I get the non-informative error 'IPN was not sent, and the handshake was not verified. Please review your information.'

We thought it was the SSL so we bought and reinstalled (twice now) certificates. SSL is not the problem. Everything comes back green when we run SSL certificate checks on the URL.

On top of all of this, the example code on https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/ipn/gs_IPN/

contains .PHP code that once we put into a file, and ran the simulator, it got stuck in a endless loop that is currently filling our server's error log with a constantly growing error log. 

Anyways, the endless loop is not the main problem here. The IPN simulator refuses to work under any condition, we've tried everything the internet had to offer, from answers to Stack Overflow or simply calling PayPal support to be told we need to email someone because they had no clue what we were talking about and then the phone call disconnected.

I have also tried the sample code found here: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/ipn/ht_ipn/

Why are there two separate PHP sample code guides? Anyways, it did not work either. 

We are trying to set up a process to be a business through PayPal, but this is making it impossible.

Is there any help for this other than the error message that doesn't tell me what's wrong at all? Is there an error log somewhere I'm missing?

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

swader
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, it appears the sandbox endpoint and live endpoint of Paypal's IPN verification system have different encoding needs. This has been discussed at some length here: https://github.com/mike182uk/paypal-ipn-listener/issues/30

If you're using PHP, the solution is to use rawurlencode/decode with sandbox, and urlencode/decode with live. I'll get back to you with a new solution once PP changes things without announcements again and breaks everyone's **bleep**, as usual.

Login to Me Too

danjfk
Contributor
Contributor

Frustrating PayPal policy about this issue could be summarized into "don't know, don't care". IPN simulator is useless for me too.

Login to Me Too

slawkens
Contributor
Contributor

18 of March 2018 and still not any official answer from Paypal?

This is really sick.

Having the same issue, what am I supposed to do?

Login to Me Too

Abdulkerim

Hi guys,

I'm using WordPress and my listener for the PayPal simulator goes to a standard WordPress page and I get the same error message in the sandbox.

After changing the URL of my listener to a file directly on my root Web-space I solved the problem 🙂

Now I can use the PayPal simulator in the sandbox 🙂

Login to Me Too

GusBeare

I just had this problem with IIS and .Net.

I had just copied a .aspx handler across from another site and tested it and got this msg.

I was able to browse to the page just fine and post to it but the IPN simulator didn't like it.

I finally fixed it by re-starting the web site. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.