IPN sent to different URL, other than Notification URL/Profile URL

Flagio
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've setup IPN to a working listener URL, by filling in the Notification URL/Profile URL.

The IPN messages are not delivered to that URL though.

When I look in Instant Payment Notification (IPN) history, they are all sent to a different URL compared to my own Notification URL.

I think I know why. Since I'm selling on another platform (Discogs.com), I see in the history that the IPN messages are being sent to the Notification URL of that website. That's understandable, since the payment status is being updated on that website. I have no idea how they do that, maybe with some API?

But I want to use my own Notification URL which I have filled in.

I've tested it by resending a IPN message and selecting the checkbox "To send an IPN again to a profile URL, check a selection here, and then click the Resend Selected button". That works, I receive the IPN messages on my own Notification URL.

Now I want to make this to work automatically. Does anyone know how to accomplish that?

Thanks for your time, 

Paul

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

In PayPal payment buttons or API requests you can include a "notify_url" parameter.  This would override anything you have set in your PayPal account profile, and platforms like you're using will often do this so that they can update the system accordingly.

Does Discogs give you a way to adjust the way those IPNs are handled at all?  I would look for a way to disable their system from overriding your IPN setting.  Even better would be to setup a forwarder so the IPN data gets sent to both URLs.  That way the Discogs would be able to update itself like it wants, and you would also be able to do what you want inside your own IPN URL.

I wrote an article a while ago on how to do this "daisy chaining" of IPN URLs.  If you happen to have WordPress in your mix anywhere you might be interested in our PayPal IPN for WordPress plugin as well as our IPN Forwarder extension

Hope that helps!

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Flagio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Angell EYE, I've contacted Discogs about it.

They have no possibility to adjust those IPN's, but let's see if they know a solution.

Once I know more, I'll let you know.

Regards, Paul

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.