Got a email about IPN

memphisfan
New Community Member

Hello I got a email saying that I needed to add some IP addresses to our ACL. Within the email, I there are a couple links and one of the links is flagged as malicious according to my antivirus. Could some tell me if this is a legit email or not? Here is the email below

As a reminder, communicated through email in the first week of December 2020, PayPal is expanding the Instant Payments Notification (IPN) infrastructure used to notify merchants about events related to the status of PayPal transactions. This change has added seven new IP addresses from which IPNs are being sent since January 18, 2021. 

Below are all of the IP addresses that are being used for IPN.

173.0.81.0/24
173.0.81.65 (New)
173.0.81.140 (New)
64.4.240.0/21 (New)
64.4.248.0/22 (New)
66.211.168.0/22 (New)
173.0.80.0/20 (New)

Call to Action

If you are implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal, we request that you add all the aforementioned IP addresses before May 3, 2021

Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal. If you have any further questions about this migration activity, please feel free to reach out to Merchant Technical Support (www.paypal-techsupport.com).

Thank you,

PayPal

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Will there be any service impacts?

IPN delivery to the merchant will fail, if a merchant does not add all of the aforementioned IP addresses found on the Status Page (https://www.paypal-status.com/history/eventdetails/31029) before the cutover date, May 3, 2021.

What are the actions required by merchants?

Please forward these changes to your network team/system admin or if you are using a third-party hosting service provider forward these details to their technical support team. If you require further support, please reach out to Merchant Technical Support (www.paypal-techsupport.com).

Merchants implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal, need to add all the aforementioned IP addresses before May 3, 2021. Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal. 

Are these changes coming up only in Production?

Yes.

Additional information:

PayPal Status Page (https://www.paypal-status.com/history/eventdetails/31029)

PayPal live IP addresses Help Center article (https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/ts1056)

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Moondog604
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this is legit you can find all of that information on their website in help documents.

Also thank you for posting this it is most likely the cause for many of us having issues with the IPN.

Login to Me Too

ddr74
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same email, however, I don't even have IPN enabled in my account. I wouldn't have the faintest idea of where to add the IP addresses PP sent me, anyway.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.