Check if a users account is a business account or force IPN to be fired when making a payment

damo8065
Contributor
Contributor

I'm developing a website in C#/ASP.Net and which allows developers to sell their software online and manages licences automatically.  A webpage is created for the developers software with a Paypal button on it which allows them to be paid directly for a download of their software.  The problem is that I need to keep track of these transactions using IPN and it seems that IPN only works for business or premier paypal accounts, not personal ones?  Is this correct?  I have specified the IPN url in the paypal payment button code but it only seems to get called if a user makes a payment to a developer with a business/premier account but not a personal one.  I need to make sure that IPN is triggered for every Paypal transaction through my site and that the user or developer cannot turn this off via settings in their Paypal account.  I thought I could do this using Adaptive payments and successfully managed to create an automated payment of £0.01 from my own account to a developers account which then triggered an IPN for me to validate that the users account was a business/premier account.  I ran in to 2 problems here.  Firstly, in sandbox mode an IPN gets triggered when sendiong to personal accounts too so that means that the technique won't work if this is also the case for the live.  Secondly, it seems Paypal have stopped supporting live adaptive payments 2 weeks ago so I can't get a live app key anyway!

Basically I just need some way of checking whether a developers account is a business account or alternatively (and preferably) a way to make IPN fire when sending money to all types of account including personal accounts using standard paypal buttons (or any workable alternative).  Help much appreciated!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

damo8065
Contributor
Contributor

Check if a users account is a business account or force IPN to be fired when making a payment to any account type (personal, business or premier)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.