400 error on validate IPN

simplybook_dimk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! Sometimes we are getting 400 error from paypal when validating notification. But if i make the same request after some time it works correctly. Please check the response from paypal:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
<p>Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<br />
</p>
</body></html>

I can not provide request, because it contains private information.

It happens only in 1-3% of requests.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

hemmer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we have this problem since 2019-07-01.

Before, this problem did only occur once in a few months.

Login to Me Too

IgorFrolov
Contributor
Contributor

We solved this issue by implementing up to 3 attempts IPN verification if it fails. Usually verification successfully completes after second attempt.

Login to Me Too

Ballesteros
Contributor
Contributor

We're seeing this issue too - for an online retailer that takes approx 1000 orders per month outside sale seasons. We've seen this error 4 times starting on 2nd July 2019. Zero occurrences before July and this integration has been live since 2015 and only previously interrupted by the occasional SSL change.

400 Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand

It does not appear to be specific to the content in our request to the IPN URL either - I am confident of this because I have an automated test configured that hits the IPN endpoint once per hour with an empty request and alerts me if we get back anything other than the expected "INVALID" response. This is intended to warn us to investigate SSL and network conditions on our side and to go check Paypal connectivity from another box, however it has also managed to report the 400 Bad Request error a few times this month, always resolving itself on the next test attempt, despite no changes on our side.

Login to Me Too

simplybook_dimk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! PayPal notified that issue was solved.

Login to Me Too

filipporonco
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, can you please give a link of this notification or report the exact text? I can't see nothing on the paypal-status websites, neither by e-mail or as an answer to a technical support ticket.

Thanks, Fil.

Login to Me Too

simplybook_dimk
Contributor
Contributor

Here is text:

Dear Dmitry,
thanks for your patience and waiting.

The issue had been resolved hours before and please kindly confirm.
But those already impacted IPNs , you need to access your IPN history to resend them.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience this has happened, we'll continue improve our environment and product better.

Thank you for your understanding.
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Kevin
Merchant Technical Support

Login to Me Too

wilder_cuba
Contributor
Contributor

Hello:

I'm testing sandbox since yesterday and still happening: Sometimes 200 and others 400.

Best regards

Login to Me Too

moshe007
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting similar things now using the IPN simulator.

in the first attempt, it going thru with a 200 success result.

but subsequent requests - even though the message from the simulator is "IPN was sent and the handshake was verified." , on the actual IPN call, i get "Bad Request Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand."

Has this happened to anyone? I am concerned this might happen live too!

TIA

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.