you can't post unless you click the actual text in the blue 'post a question' button

xenek
New Community Member

Hello, using Firefox on Windows, when I am trying to post a question, I have to click the mouse directly on the text of the button 'post a question', in the blue button.

I'm not sure if that's a deliberate engineering feature to try to irritate people, if it is, it works. Standard product design is that the entire button is clickable, not only the text.

The example I have in the real world, is a shutdown button on some plant and equipment. If the button is labelled 'safety shutdown', you press the button and the equipment shuts down. If the button however only functions if you press the text of the word 'stop' and the text is cut out, so it can be depressed independently of the actually physically raised button, then the button is no longer functional. In a rush, people will push the button as a whole, if it's round or oval. They won't, for example, press the center of the button in between the letter 't' and the letter 'o'. They may press the top or the sides away from the text.

Taking this example back to the interface for this community forum, I clicked a few times on the button, and it failed, the reason in this particular instance, but not all instances, is that your button design is faulty. Please take it up with your ui/ux engineers. Also, if other people notice this failure, please be aware that it's only likely to be an issue for those who are unaccustomed to clicking hyperlinks, such as those new to computers, or those who don't use computers as their day job and hobby. Very experienced people likely click the text out of habit. Normal people will click the button, and that means it will be uncertain as to where they click on the button, likely it will be a random place they tap with their finger, or click with the mouse. In my experience onsite visiting thousands of individuals and working with them through technical issues they face, I'd guage this paypal button problem as:

*it is likely to add to frustration

*it lowers the customer experience

*it leads to disrespect of the computer

*it leads to disrespect of the seller, of the agents and technicians

*it leads to upset with themselves as they feel foolish as the computer doesn't work.

*it leads to broken equipment as they sometimes throw the computer physically away.

*it wastes their time

*it contributes to a lack of care for others in general, as something that is expected to work, doesn't work, and this often has flow-on consequences.

I'm sure there are many other examples of ways I can describe the issues non-technical users face when finding problems like the issue you have presented to your customers, that the text of the button must be clicked, and if the person clicks the button, but not the text, it fails to work.

So, I encourage you to address the issue, as your service is for use, it's not designed to prevent use or impede or hinder people, and it's not appropriate I think to make the button 'half functional'. It took me a couple of times myself to work out why this particular button, on this particular forum, was non-functional during my rush to get a support request posted.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.