paypal keeps losing shopping cart

CBGG1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I run a little website (www.greatergoods.co.uk) with Paypal as the only option for paying. I am being contacted by customers who are saying that when they click 'add to cart' a new browser pages opens up with Paypal and adds the item to the cart ( so far so good). When they go back to the website and add another item however, this item does not get added to the cart that is already there, but Paypal opens another window and starts a new cart. So it seems to forget that this customer already has a product in their shopping trolley.
This does not happen to all customers, some are ordering without any problem. I gather that it has something to do with cookies and possibly with the server, but I would love to hear from anyone who can shine some more light onto this. Many thanks, Christine

Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

Calvin17
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like I have been fobbed off with a generic response too! Doesn't sound like they even looked into it!

"Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Support.
I apologize for the frustration with your payments. When you are using website payments standard add to cart buttons like the ones that you are using, the intended behavior of the add to cart button is to take the buyer to the PayPal cart page. From there your buyers can either checkout, or click the continue shopping button to go back to your site to keep adding stuff to the cart. 

Now that being said, if your buyers are using a browser that does not support cookie use, then the cart will not accumulate as it should. 

Another additional note, is that if you have multiple buttons in different currencies, then adding two different items of two different currencies will break the cart as well."

Login to Me Too

ClareF
Contributor
Contributor

I received another response. 

Still no resolution. I replied and sent this thread again.

Hello Clare 

My apologies I was not able to download your screencast before due to a technical problem and I thought the problem was very different.

I can clearly see the problem now and it has been reported before and also marked as fixed.

I am in direct contact with the developer who worked  on this so he can review his work and if his changes were pushed. I shared your information with him. 

Do not hesitate to contact me for updates, or I will keep you notified as well.

Kind Regards

Pablo
PayPal MTS

Login to Me Too

CBGG1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris, Clare, Calvin and Rod,

I received a message from Paypal this morning in response to my ticket with technical support, to say that they have fixed the problem. And ... it seems to be the case as my site now works fine with firefox and edge, having cleared all previous cookies. Would you all be so kind to remove all paypal cookies from your computers and test your own ( or each others) sites with whatever browsers you have available, so that we can see whether this really is fixed or just a fluke.  Many thanks! Christine

Login to Me Too

ClareF
Contributor
Contributor
It seems to be fixed on mine now too!!! Yeah! Shame they took so long - lockdown sales lost. Thanks to everyone who nagged them! C
Login to Me Too

Calvin17
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent, thank you all and Paypal.  My website appears to be working ok now, even if I do not accept the paypal cookies!

Login to Me Too

Meanteam
Contributor
Contributor
Great news. I too can confirm the issue appears to be resolved. Tested with Safari on an iPad which only previously allowed one product to be added to the cart and Chrome on Android which (having reset cookies) would always lose the first item added. It's a shame it took so long for PayPal support to acknowledge and investigate the problem. If only they'd listened properly and cleared the cookies on their test machine they would have spotted the issue immediately. Thanks to all who contributed to make PayPal aware. Cheers, Chris
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.