add line item prices to IPN returned values using hosted buttons

spinhead
Contributor
Contributor

Using hosted buttons:

Though the select dropdowns for all the items on the site I'm creating have prices, the line item pricing doesn't seem to be returned from PayPal, only the total paid.

How can I get the amounts for each line item? They're already included in the dropdowns and they're obviously how PayPal calculates the total cost. But the IPN returned fields doesn't include anything I recognize as a line item price.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

spinhead
Contributor
Contributor

need line item prices from IPN data when using hosted button [ Case # 06871457] [ ref:_00D30LaY._5002E1b8ZrE:ref ]

'Merchant Technical Support' via PayPal

Jun 25, 2020, 1:39 PM (2 days ago)

Hello Joel Canfield

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Unfortunately the data contained in the IPN or web-hook would not contain the each individual line items as I had mentioned earlier. For buttons a limited custom field can be added to the transaction which may not be appropriate in your case.

If you are using the REST Apis you may be able to use the transaction search API's to get some of the details of the completed transaction. Please not there may be dealys before you can search the completed transaction.

Please see: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/transaction-search/v1/

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

Sincerely,
Mohammed
Global Technical Support
PayPal, Inc.

Login to Me Too

spinhead
Contributor
Contributor

I am not using the REST API. Should I be?

I need a way to get this data. I'll use whatever tool is necessary to get the line item pricing in real time. I don't know what tool that is, but I cannot believe that the prices which PayPal is using to calculate the total for the invoice are not available, or else how is PayPal calculating the total?

I cannot simply tell my client "PayPal says it's not possible." Surely I am not the first developer ever to need this piece of information.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.