Why am I seeing changes to how subscriptions are reflected?

not_here

PayPal is changing the way subscriptions are created, managed, and displayed. Below are FAQs related to these changes:

Q: My current S- Subscription IDs look like S-XXXXXXXX. What do the new IDs look like?
A: All new I- Subscriptions look like I-XXXXXXXX.

Q: Are there any changes to merchant integrations?
A: Yes, there is a change to the field value in the subscr_payment IPN. If your integration uses its own database, contact Technical Support for a mapping.

Q: What is the field value change in the subscr_payment IPN when it is migrated to I- Subscriptions?
A: The change in the subscr_payment IPN is in the transaction_subject:
  • For S- Subscriptions, the transaction_subject has a 'custom_code' value.
  • For I- Subscriptions, the transaction_subject has the 'item_name' related to the subscription.
Please note that the 'custom_code' value is available in another custom field in the same subscr_payment IPN.

Q: What happens to subscr_eot IPNs, which are sent for S- Subscriptions but not for I- Subscriptions?
A: The subscr_eot IPN is supported for new I- Subscriptions created for those merchants who have S- Subscriptions.

Q: What improvements are expected in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions?
A: The last payment due and transaction history (related to subscriptions) are shown in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions.

Q: Which fields are deprecated in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions?
A: The item_number and custom_number are not shown in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions.

Q: What happens if a payment fails?
A: In case of I- Subscriptions, the subscription gets suspended and can be reactivated later. In the case of S- Subscriptions, it gets cancelled.

Q: Will I continue to receive notification emails for new I- Subscriptions?
A: Yes, enhanced emails are sent to merchants for subscription signup, payment, EOT and cancellation.

Q: Are there any changes when the term of subscription ends?
A: Yes, in S- Subscriptions it is shown as completed, whereas for I- Subscriptions it is shown as expired.

Q: When can I expect to get my existing S- Subscription migrated to I-?
A: Once the migration of new subscriptions to I- is completed, existing S- Subscriptions will be migrated through a batch process.

Q: Does the Subscription ID change when my existing S- Subscriptions are migrated to I-?
A: Yes, when existing S- Subscriptions are migrated to I-, the ID looks like I-XXXXXXXX. In the Merchant Activity, the migrated I- Subscriptions are shown along with their history.

Q: How do I know the mapping between my old S- Subscription ID and my new I- Subscription ID?
A: You receive the mapping in the next payment notification in the form of IPN and email.
  • IPN: The new I- Subscription ID is in the field subscr_id=I-XXXXXX, and the old S- Subscription ID mapping is provided in the new field called old_subscr_id=S-XXXXXX.
  • Email: The mapping is provided by appending the old S- Subscription ID to the new I- Subscription ID for the Profile ID field. For example, the subsequent payment email includes something like Profile ID:I-XXXXXX (S-XXXXXXX).
Q: How long will I receive the mapping of the old and new Subscription ID?
A: The mapping will be continue to be provided in the payment IPN and email until the migrated subscription is cancelled or expires.

Q: What happens to old transactions for existing S- Subscriptions when they are migrated to I- Subscriptions?
A: All the old transactions are also mapped under the new I- Subscription.

Q: What happens to my cancelled profiles?
A: Cancelled profiles will get migrated to I- Subscription in January 2019.

Q: What will happen to S- Subscription reports after all existing S- Subscriptions are migrated to I- Subscriptions?
A: Cancelled profile S- Subscription reports will be available for download until December 2018. The new reports are available through ‘Recurring payments’.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

not_here

Hi @RonAppleton,

Our product team was able to create a solution for you to receive those IPN's for accounts that subscribed before you enabled IPN. Please follow the below instructions, if you have any issues please let me know.

To receive IPNs for newly created subscriptions, you can edit the same button and add notify_url in the *Customize advanced features* section.
Example: address_override=1 notify_url=https://www.mywebsite.com/PayPal_IPN

To receive IPNs for already created subscriptions, you can set an IPN notify url at the account level. You can do so by going to this page: https://www.msmaster.qa.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-ipn-notify and setting notification URL.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Christina 

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

RonAppleton
Contributor
Contributor

All my recurring payments have I-******** recurring payment codes, but some were started before ipn was integrated and enabled, I do not receive ipn notifications for these recurring payments, is there something I need to do as I dont want to contact all existing customers and tell them to cancel there existing subscriptions and subscribe again? Subscriptions since IPN was enabled work fine.

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hello @RonAppleton,

If I understand, your problem is that you're not receiving IPN notifications for subscriptions that were created before you enabled IPN notifications? Because of this, you need a solution for how to receive notifications for those subscriptions? 

Thanks,

Christina 

Login to Me Too

RonAppleton
Contributor
Contributor
That's exactly right Christina
Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @RonAppleton,

I've been working to see what options are available for you in this scenario. Unfortunately, we don't have a solution for your situation. I've asked our teams to put this in the roadmaps to fix, as this isn't the right experience. I apologize for the inconvenience that this causes. 

Christina 

Login to Me Too
Solved

not_here

Hi @RonAppleton,

Our product team was able to create a solution for you to receive those IPN's for accounts that subscribed before you enabled IPN. Please follow the below instructions, if you have any issues please let me know.

To receive IPNs for newly created subscriptions, you can edit the same button and add notify_url in the *Customize advanced features* section.
Example: address_override=1 notify_url=https://www.mywebsite.com/PayPal_IPN

To receive IPNs for already created subscriptions, you can set an IPN notify url at the account level. You can do so by going to this page: https://www.msmaster.qa.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-ipn-notify and setting notification URL.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Christina 

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.