Update your PayPal buttons before 29th March 2017.......

Lakshmana
Contributor
Contributor

================================

Updating thread title to reflect the new date of March 29th.

Please note that we have extended the go live date for this until March 29th. Any questions related to updating the buttons and HTML basics related to this upgrade please post here.

================================

HI,

I received this email from PayPal..

Update your PayPal buttons before 18 January 2017

In January, we'll be upgrading the PayPal integration you're using, Website Payments Standard, to:

• Let your customers check out in a click with One Touch™
  • Ensure your checkout is always mobile-optimised
  • Deliver a simpler checkout design that’s consistent across desktop and mobile

To ensure you can continue to process payments once these upgrades have taken place, please update your PayPal buttons by 18 January 2017.

What do you need to do?

We’ve identified problems with at least one of your PayPal buttons so please check all your existing buttons for invalid or incorrect data.

--

I've been testing my buttons to see if theres a problem, so far all working (still many to go)
If PayPal has identified a problem cant they also mention where and what it is since they discovered it?

I see the PayPal documentation but so far I cant see my mistake..

Any help or advice on this most welcome.. i.e further info on this email and how to troubleshoot this..

Anthony

Login to Me Too
284 REPLIES 284

MTS_Ciaran

@ujalal - No subscription flow is coming something this year, but this change is only regarding the Buy Now and cart buttons. 

Login to Me Too

telred
Contributor
Contributor

Each time I login to paypal, I get a notice that my site is passing invalid or incorrect data to paypal.

But when I check, the correct PayPal screen appears (see my attached image).

You can check my button at https://tel.red/linux.php

telred-paypal.png

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

@telred - Just tested the button myself and it looks fine. I've ran through the logs on our side as well and can that you have a failure back in December 4th 2016 which would be the reason for the notification. For this issue it looks like there was an amount problem. 

Login to Me Too

LMP2000
Contributor
Contributor

hi, too received the email and an attachment with a link that was supposed to help diagnose the problems and the link in the spreadsheet does not work to test our website.

<snip>

the link above does not work. how are we supposed to know what the problem may or may not be ?

Login to Me Too

LMP2000
Contributor
Contributor

Go to <snip>..... this is not a VALID URL what is the correct URL ?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

That link is to an internal tool, it will not work externally Im afraid. I'm following up internally to understand why this was sent over to you. 

That being said I've checked the logs on our side for your account and can see that the latest error was on the 12 January, the reason for fallback was logged as 

amount is not a number or negative

I suspect that the amount value was passed with either a currency symbol or in a negative format i.e. 

"amount=$4.00" or "amount=-2.00"

Login to Me Too

LMP2000
Contributor
Contributor

can you tell if it was through Pay Pal Checkout or through Direct Payment ? We use both methods. Also I have been getting some strange chars back from paypal checkout like instead of "Dr." i get back "Dr20e". whenever the "." is at the end of the field. Also when charging people under Direct Payment when customer is in the UK it comes back declined as it says wrong country code but UK should be the country code. If i switch to GB it will work. Also when it declines for UK country code the transaction is actually approved however it throughs a DECLINE message back. This only just started maybe this month or so.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

How do.... I'll try answer these below 🙂

- The attempt was made through PayPal checkout, not Direct Payment

- The Dr20 is being caused by URL encoding the field. When URL encoding a . it will convert to something like this "%20", to solve you should URL decode the value being returned. 

- Can you post the full decline message you are getting back. 

Login to Me Too

LMP2000
Contributor
Contributor

i do not have the error msg for the decline. if it happens again i will capture it. still do not even know where to start from to make sure the paypal works after March. where do i begin? is there some new files i need to use ? how do i know we are not already compliant ? i am completely in the dark on this

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

no problem 🙂

So no, new files are not needed. Some minor updates may be needed to the PayPal button code, these buttons can be identified by the checkout page that is displayed, old check page means buttons needs to be modified. 

Now, in order to find the buttons, that's where we can help. If you want to post a link to your site and I can review and see what I can find on the logs on our side. I was able to find 1 example previously, so I'll try reproduce and find more specifics to help identify it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.