Shared computer -- how to force log out of customer's Paypal account after payment

petekuhn666
Contributor
Contributor

We're using Paypal Standard on our website, and have a shared computer (linux, chrome) for customers to use.  A customer can use a credit card as a guest on Paypal (no problem there), or log into their Paypal account to pay.  The problem is that the next customer, if they select using their Paypal account, is immediately directed to the previous customer's Paypal account.  If they open a separate window on the browser and go to paypal, they're not logged into the previous customer's account.

This happens even if Auto Login and One Touch Purchase are turned off in the customer's Paypal account.

How can we get Paypal to clear the customer's login and payment info so the next customer choosing to pay with their Paypal account doesn't get automatically logged into the previous customer's Paypal account.

Yes, this is extremely insecure, and we're suspending use of Paypal accounts for now.  No, you can't have our website name, that's just naughty!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@petekuhn666 

Try disabling the save or autofill log in and pswd option in the browser settings.

No, you can't have our website name, that's just naughty!

Wouldn’t matter because the saving of logins would be device specific. For example, if I visit your website right now to buy from my device, no way I would see the last user’s account login or anyone who previously used the device. It only happens at your specific shared computer/device that people are using. Now if I let others use my device to shop at your website too, that would save the logins unless I set the browser to also not save/autofill the logins.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Good day @petekuhn666,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

Customer/Buyer should logout or sign out from their PayPal account, once the payment is completed. 

Also, please turn off/disable the auto password saving settings in your web browser. 

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal/Braintree MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

petekuhn666
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply! 

The customer doesn't have the chance to sign out of Paypal.  I used my personal Paypal account, with Auto Login and One Touch disabled, and a Firefox browser set to not store passwords, made a purchase from the company's website, and after payment was immediately returned to the company's website.  I then opened a new window on my browser and went to Paypal.com, where I found I was not logged in.  I returned to the company's website, and went to make another purchase using Paypal.  My account's payment information was immediately presented without my logging into Paypal.

For now, we are advising customers not to use their Paypal account to make purchases on our shared computer, but instead to use the guest checkout feature on Paypal to pay with their credit or debit card, preferrably on their phone or home computer.  For the future, we hope Paypal will address this and provide a way to force log out.

Thanks again,

Peter

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.