Phone number requirement for credit card payments without PayPal account

aGuillaume
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Context: I'm setting up an online store for a relative, using WordPress and WooCommerce, without any other PayPal-specific plugin.

But my question might just be about generic PayPal behaviour. I posted the same question on March 26th here but got no answers.

Please advise if I should have done things differently, or if other info is needed. I'm new here. 🙂)

When trying to pay without setting up a PayPal account, just with a credit card, filling up the phone number field seems to be required.

Is that so? Or is there a way to disable this requirement?

If this field is mandatory, is there an explanation for this choice? I would think it would lead to many sale abortions?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aGuillaume 

You can disable it in the Website Preferences section within Account settings.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aGuillaume
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @sharpiemarker , thanks for the suggestion.

Do you mean the parameters available at this URL?

https://www.paypal.com/businessmanage/preferences/website

PayPal Website Preferences.png

The phone number requirement was already disabled, but I believe it only concerns the pay flow of people with a PayPal account. It doesn't have an effect on people paying only with the debit or credit card. At least from what I've been able to test.

Login to Me Too

aGuillaume
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone and @sharpiemarker,

Any other suggestions?

This is kind of a deal breaker to using solely PayPal as a payment method.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

aGuillaume
Contributor
Contributor

To anyone coming across the same issue:

I ended up using Stripe for debit/credit card payments, and offering PayPal as an alternative solution.

Some people online (can't recall where) seemed to consider that PayPal is "enforcing" people to use a PayPal account, therefore making it "harder" to avoid using one. Don't know if it's true, but this limitation indeed made me look elsewhere.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.