Paypal not showing the custom field

sudi00
Contributor
Contributor

HI, 

For some reason Paypal has stopped showing the custom field that we populate from our end. We collection donations using a gravity form + PayPal Standard Add-On form. In that gravity-form populates a custom field which is then sent back in the PayPal IPN and is used to cross check for potential spoofing. But since last the 20 days the custom field is not showing up in Paypal donation records and it shows up as empty in PayPal IPNs. As a result our backend gravity-form based donation confirmation is failing. Right now the PayPal IPN looks like this for example:

mc_gross=1.00&protection_eligibility=Ineligible&payer_id=ZNRUYB753B8QG&payment_date=14:34:15 Apr 30, 2019 PDT&payment_status=Completed&charset=windows-1252&first_name=Sudipta&mc_fee=0.32&notify_version=3.9&custom=&payer_status=verified&business=&quantity=1&verify_sign=ApW0719V.01-J90oQDmgwc8nssTuACuJnlofDO9xezXRp-OmIFugkEf4&payer_email=<removed>&txn_id=9L557465MY417450F&payment_type=instant&last_name=<removed>&receiver_email=<removed> &payment_fee=0.32&shipping_discount=0.00&receiver_id=FGBPPUGPKMMSU&insurance_amount=0.00&txn_type=web_accept&item_name=&discount=0.00&mc_currency=USD&item_number=&residence_country=US&shipping_method=Default&transaction_subject=985|d37fa480b5397f4d4ca12777b5a6762e&payment_gross=1.00&ipn_track_id=2626e99b22e75

I also tried changing the Paypal Button Language encoding to UTF-8 but its not helping. The relevant piece of code that supplies custom_field to Paypal is as follows:

$url .= "?notify_url={$ipn_url}&charset=UTF-8&currency_code={$currency}&business={$business_email}&custom={$custom_field}{$invoice}{$customer_fields}{$image_url}{$cancel_url}{$disable_note}{$disable_shipping}{$return_url}"

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

newmoon-agency
New Community Member

Hi 

I have just started having this same problem. Could you elaborate on what you mean by a "custom" param? Do you mean a query string parameter on the form URL? I am already submitting it via a hidden form field called "custom".

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

juicy_gift_card
Contributor
Contributor

The solution did not work for me. We do not use the IPN.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.