Payments Page Error: /genericError?code=SIGNUP_BLOCKED_IN_COUNTRY_AU

whymatt
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve been using the https://www.paidmembershipspro.com/ plugin on my site successfully for a number of years.
The plugin seems to be working fine, however, when I click the ‘Check out with PayPal’ button (when trying to purchase a membership) the subsequent PayPal page displays the message:

We’re sorry, things don’t appear to be working right now. Please try again later.
Return to Seller’s Website

I note that the url for the page has an error appended: i.e. https://www.paypal.com/webscr?cmd=_express-checkout&useraction=commit&token=EC-6KC8109401447520S#/ch...

Any ideas what's causing this and how to rectify it?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

alanmcki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WhyMatt

I am having this exact same issue. Have you managed to find a fix?

It appears it only affects users who are not already logged into PayPal in their browser or have been already. It just started happening for us too (we hadn't updated any plugins or anything that might have caused it)

Let me know if you have found a solution as i\d be most grateful. Otherwise I will update you if we find out a fix too.

Alan

Login to Me Too

whymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alan,

Pay Pal have said that this is a problem on their end due to Australian regulation changes.

They're working on a solution but haven't been able to provide any estimate on when the issue will be resolved.

The only 'solution' has been to direct our customers to PayPal to set up recurring payments and then to manually email them a password after manually adding them to PaidMembershipPro.

Matt.

Login to Me Too

alanmcki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Matt

Wow, that's crazy. I am pretty sure though we were seeing users from US, UK and India also getting the same error with the same trigger. But can't be sure as at the same time, PayPal was throwing a 503 error for my developer. Makes me wonder if there is some deeper stuff going on.

Good to know anyway and thanks for your reply

Alan

Login to Me Too

alanmcki
Contributor
Contributor

Also, just in case this helps you, it seems if the user is already logged into PayPal in their browser, the issue is resolved and they can set up their subscription. I simply put a message on the page asking them to login to PayPal first, which has provided a temporary solution for us.

Not sure if that works for you. 

Alan

Login to Me Too

whymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for sharing the tip about logging in beforehand Alan. That's a more elegant workaround than the one I've been using!

We only have Australian customers so your suggestion that it's affecting users in other countries is interesting.

In any case, good luck getting things back to normal.

I'll update you if I figure out how to get things working properly.

Login to Me Too

alanmcki
Contributor
Contributor

No worries, make sure to test first, but that's working for us. Likewise, I'll let you know if/when we find a solution or it starts working. 

Alan

Login to Me Too

mindstorms81
Contributor
Contributor
Hey Guys, I am having this problem too. Any fixes apart from logging manually into Paypal yet? Cheers.
Login to Me Too

whymatt
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately no. ☹️

Login to Me Too

alanmcki
Contributor
Contributor

I also had confirmation from PayPal it's an issue their end and no fix as of yet.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.