PayPal miscalculating VAT and overcharging our customers

SOEKS1
Contributor
Contributor

Our PayPal buttons are configured correctly because most of the time PayPal charges the customer the correct amount of € 29,80 but sometimes, for no apparent reason, they get charged € 29,82. It is only 2 cents so most customers just ignore it. Nonetheless, it still looks as though we are trying to put one over on them and we receive the occasional complaint.

Looking at PayPal's breakdown of the transaction makes no sense. The figures just don't add up.
The transaction detail shows 2 items at € 12,42 each making a total of € 24,84 (so far so good) however, this is followed with Purchase Total 27,33 EUR. And then it says:
Purchase Total: 27,33 EUR
Sales Tax: 4,98 EUR
Shipping Amount: 0,00 EUR
Handling Amount: 0,00 EUR
Insurance Amount: 0,00 EUR
Gross Amount: 29,82 EUR

I already contacted customer support about this a year ago and was informed they would get back to me. Nobody ever did and the problem continues. Can anyone suggest a method for me to get in contact with PayPal's development team as it is clear that customer support cannot help me?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SOEKS1 

27,33 + 4,98  =  32,31 - 29,82  =  2,49 <-- (PayPal fee?)

What is the net amount that you receive after PayPal fees?

You'll still have to contact customer service for them to fix this if there is no incorrect info entered into the button, as no one in the user to user forum can fix this.

To contact customer service:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (France): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalFrance/

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter US: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SOEKS1
Contributor
Contributor

NonsenseNonsense

Like I said, normally the system processes it correctly. It is just occasionally that it produces this nonsense but it is always for that amount, irrespective of which product has been selected. It does not happen with any other amount.

I used to have a direct link to PayPal Merchant Technical support and they were very responsive. I cannot find it anymore. Perhaps it no longer exists? Regular customer support is a waste of time. They either never reply or they take details and tell me someone will contact me and of course, that never happens. This is a technical issue so it's out of their realm. Facebook might be a solution though.

Login to Me Too

SOEKS1
Contributor
Contributor

The Facebook idea was a waste of time. I typed out the story so far and provided a link to this forum but there are no humans answering, only AI bots which are as useful as a chocolate fire grate...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.