PayPal checkout no longer working on Shopify website

monettex
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has always worked just fine with my Shopify website, but a few months ago customers started telling me they are having issues. I wonder if some kind of update took place that is causing this. About 50% of my purchases on my website used to all be paid through PayPal, but now everyone has to just pay with another method.

It lets them log into their PayPal account, select their payment method, brings them back to my website and makes them select shipping address, and then brings them to a page where there is no option to complete the order or to use PayPal, the only option they are given is to use an alternative payment method such as Shop Pay, Apple Pay, Credit Card, etc. All these other payment methods are working just fine and people are now having to use them to purchase from me.

I have contacted Shopify and they told me it is not an issue on their end and I must contact PayPal. So I contacted PayPal tech support and they told me they do not author or support the Shopify PayPal plugin. So now I do not know who to contact, if anyone knows who authors the plugin please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Chiranjeevi_L

Good day @monettex,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

Could you please confirm whether your still facing the issue?

Please refer PayPal status page.

I would suggest to please process a test payment via card which is not linked to your PayPal account. Since, merchant can't process self payments.

If your still facing any issues, please create a MTS ticket via - https://www.paypal-support.com/s/?language=en_US  with the detail information and error details.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal/Braintree MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

monettex
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to update with the solution in case anyone else is having this problem.

So what happened is Shopify introduced a new thing called Markets. You can see this section under settings.

The USA market was default set to USD, so what was happening with PayPal is because my shop is set to receive AUD and before this Markets was introduced Shopify was simply converting everything to AUD for me, now it was no longer converting and was glitching out PayPal.

The solution is to set the USA market to AUD. Because of my plug in I can still have the prices in my shop be displayed in USD, but now when customers go to check out it shows everything in AUD.

This on the one hand makes it so PayPal works, but on the other hand scares many customers because they do not understand currencies and just think that the price just jumped up for no reason and they are being charged more money. 

So my plan is to test it out and see if it lowers my sales because of this new scare factor of price jumping up at checkout when it goes from USD to AUD, and if it hurts my sales I'll just have to switch the USA market back to USD so it displays USD at all times and does not scare customers but then PayPal will not work, so I might just remove PayPal as a payment option all together then. Those are my initial thoughts on this. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.