Optional Note to Seller

sjc-jennifer
New Community Member

I'm trying to set up a PayPal "donate" button and I've clicked "YES" to include the optional "note to seller" field, but when I do a test transaction, I do not see the buyer being given that option. We have a lot of donors who want to add a "tribute" to their donation in memory of or in honor of someone. What is the recommended way to do that?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

angielak
Contributor
Contributor

We also relied on "Note to seller," to allocate funds, but apparently it's been deprecated. So, Paypal's checkout WILL NOT allow the user to specify.

HOWEVER, if you know HTML/javascript, and can edit your website, you can add a "Memo" (or however you want to label) question, allowing users to fill in BEFORE they click PayPal DONATE button. Then pass the Memo into their API...it will show up in Paypal's checkout screen as "Purpose":   

Donate to 
"The Name of Your Company"
Purpose: Their Memo text
$20.00
USD

Note: "Purpose" text does appear in Activity Reports, once you click on the person's name, you can see it under "Order details" 

You may need to contact a developer to help you with the following.

---CODE---

HTML:

<label>Memo:</label> <input id="txtMemo" type="text" name="txtTribute" value="" />

<form method="post" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" class="paypal-button" target="_top">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="button" value="donate">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_donations">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="[merchant id]">
<input type="hidden" name="bn" value="JavaScriptButton_donate">
<input type="hidden" name="env" value="www">
<button type="submit" class="paypal-button large">Donate</button>
</form>

Javascript/jQuery:

/* NOTE: Upon #txtMemo changes, pass Memo value to PayPal API using <input type="hidden" name="item_name">  */

$("#txtMemo").on("change", AlterMemo);

function AlterMemo () {
     $("input[name='item_name']").attr("value", $("#txtMemo").val());
}

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.