Opencart PayPal Express - Customers unable to complete purchase

ImageHair
Contributor
Contributor

Hey community!

We have a business PayPal account setup, and enabled API to work with the older style native Express shopping cart. We are using Opencart as our website framework. The backend of Opencart has been configured, however when the user tries to pay with PayPal, they get an error.

Steps:

1. Add product to cart

2. Go through checkout process and select PayPal as payment method

3. PayPal loads and offers user signin or pay with Card.

4. When you try to login to you PayPal account, you receive an error: This transaction has been declined to comply with international regulations.

We are an Australian business, all details within our PayPal are based in Aust.

paypalerror.png

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Did you set this up as sandbox or live? If sandbox, are you sure you have a business account configured as the seller?
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

ImageHair
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Thanks for your reply and assistance. No this has not been setup in sandbox mode, only in live. The paypal account was setup as a new business account, and I have confirmed the account has all necessary data and settings filled out.

What is odd, is that the payment flow takes you from the store, to the PayPal gateway, allows you to enter your buyer email and password, and once it then tries to login as the buyers account, it throws up this message.

To see the flow issue, website is: https://imagehairandbeauty.com.au

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Completely separate note, some general feedback for you.  Maybe it's just me, but it took me a few seconds to figure out how where the "add to cart" button was on this site.  The little icons below the QTY look like secondary type options, where Add to Cart would usually be much bigger and prominently displayed.  Also, it would be recommended to include the PayPal buttons on your product pages, which is what generally increases conversion rates on websites.  Hopefully OpenCart gives you some options for that..??

The product(s) I've tried won't let me through because it says they're not in stock (but it only tells me that when I get to the cart page..??)  From what you described, though, the SetExpressCheckout request must be working successfully, but it would be good to get a look at that raw request to see what's getting sent.  That might give us a hint.  Does OpenCart provide logs for that?

Login to Me Too

ImageHair
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, I will have a look at options to make the 'add to cart' button more identifiable for sure. We have looked into adding paypal buttons on product pages as well.

That is very very strange regarding the stock issue, all products are actually set to not subtrack stock and have ample amounts, could you give me one as an example? 😞

I am not entirely sure with the logs, Opencart does enable debugging on the gateway api, I might have a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Also just to add to the information, I have a dev site sitting on another domain, which I injected this businesses API keys into, and confirmed it actually works through the entire checkout process. I then spun up a secondary Opencart template on a subdomain of this main website, and it still fails on the same error. 

For the paypal account to function on another domain account, means fundamentally it must be setup correct. And spinning up the new Opencart and having it fail on the subdomain rules out a misconfiguration on the website end, plus it makes it to the paypal gateway. The only thing left I am wondering about would be paypal has some mismatch or block on the domain itself for some reason, which means I probably will have to contact support.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

This product did it.  Product page says in stock, but cart page tells me I can't order because it's out of stock.  

https://imagehairandbeauty.com.au/haircare/natural-look-construction-fixing-matt-mud

For your issue I would look into caching / CDN conflicts.  That's what it sounds like to me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.