My Smartbutton only goes to a "sandbox" page and won't take orders

thetrinityschoo
Contributor
Contributor

I created a "smart" button in my Paypal account. Copied and pasted the button into my website. But when a user clicks on it it looks like they bought something but nothing ever happens. I noticed that the url on the popup says "sandbox" but the word "sandbox" is not in the code for my button. How do I fix this? I have never had this problem with my other Paypal accounts.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

obfusc8d
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Are you sure you have used the correct Client ID in the URL of the script source?
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/javascript-sdk/javascript-sdk-configuration/#query-parame...

Login to Me Too

thetrinityschoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I can't say that I'm sure. I just clicked on the "Copy Code" button and then pasted the code into Wordpress.

Login to Me Too

obfusc8d
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, did you use the tool in AppCenter ("Setup PayPal Checkout" or similar), like in the picture, to generate the code?

PayPal Checkout.png

Strange if that doesn't work for your PayPal account.
I would log into the account again and generate and copy code again and see if its different and works correctly.

Don't use any "sandbox" options if getting code for a live site.

If you followed the instructions here, you will have to set up more yourself and get your client ID for your site/app from the developer dashboard: https://developer.paypal.com/

Login to Me Too

obfusc8d
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Checkout.png

(tried adding picture again as it didnt seem to work first time)

Login to Me Too

thetrinityschoo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

I did use the tool that looks like the image you posted. And I just clicked that little blue button that is in your image that says "copy code." I have never set up "sandbox" features. I know what they are but for our little site, I can usually just test things live and then refund myself my own money. 

Also, to your suggestion. I created the button 3 times. The second and third times were 5 days after the first time. So although I may not have logged out between button creation 2 and 3 there was a significant time between them and the first button creation.

Login to Me Too

obfusc8d
Contributor
Contributor

I was guessing that maybe something was a little buggy on the code generation and it maybe even let you copy incomplete code when your session had timed out or something. But if you have generated the button code soon after logging in, as directed by the PayPal tool/guides and it still doesn't work correctly, it looks like something to report directly to PayPal - even log a bug/issue.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.