Merchant Transactions Getting Declined

KingRay
Contributor
Contributor

Every time this happens, I am left frustrated with PayPal.  I wanted to start a trial with Netflix that requires a method of payment for after it ends.  I get sent to PayPal, login, and suddenly PayPal is not selecting my primary payment method.  I have 5 methods and only my bank account showed up; that is not my primary payment method.

I get in chat with a PayPal rep who expects me to believe they can't see anything unless the transaction was successful.  Well, then, I would have no need to be in chat, would I?  Netflix is pointing fingers at PayPal for the decline, and PayPal is pointing fingers at Netflix.  The transaction never made it to my bank, because I spoke with a rep and always get emails when that happens.  I expect more of these reps from PayPal, who should be able to see why they bounced something back to the merchant (declined) and only let me select my bank account & not primary method.

I asked him if the merchant website was allowed to tamper with which payment method I use, and the rep couldn't even answer that. Very unhelpful. Is anybody else having this issue?  Oh, and I'm using Firefox.  I could've tried Chrome, but don't like that browser unless I have to use it. Perhaps I should try and see if the transaction goes through. Since the Netflix chat rep was also unhelpful, I'm not giving them my debit card or bank account directly. THIS is why I try to use PayPal. Not many options when it comes to merchants. Amazon won't even use PayPal.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

KingRay
Contributor
Contributor

Tried Chrome and same thing happens with PayPal only letting me choose my bank account for Netflix.  I'm not buying something else from a different merchant to see if it's the merchant or PayPal; money doesn't grow on trees, tho I wished it did.

Login to Me Too

KingRay
Contributor
Contributor

What is really making me mad about all this is there is NO TECH SUPPORT FOR PAYPAL!  If I try to use the Resolution Center, they're always saying my issue doesn't qualify for their help.  If I contact chat, they aren't experienced enough to know what's going on with transactions, let alone databases.  No wonder other companies are competing with PayPal, but this business is establishing contracts with most merchants and the merchants don't give us other choices.

Why is PayPal so negligent of all these issues?  Not once have I gotten information about what happened between the merchant and PayPal; not once.  PayPal blows me off, and the merchant just wants me not to use PayPal and give them my credit card # or bank account.  Definitely defeats the purpose of PayPal, except when they're the only choice with these monopoly companies.  I don't want them with my credit card.  Then again, if things go wrong, I don't have to deal with PayPal's lousy support system.

My bank can tell me whether it was a merchant error or one of their side.  Shame on you, PayPal, for not valuing customers more!

Login to Me Too

Michelenlucas
Contributor
Contributor
I just googled this issue to see if it is something that has happened to anyone else. I was offered PayPal Credit on a purchase I was trying to make, was approved, then PayPal went down. Now the option doesn’t even show up. PayPal is telling me I need to directly link to my bank account. Then they tell the merchant doesn’t accept PayPal (why is it a choice then?) then they tell me if they allow the sale to go through, I will “encounter problems shortly afterwards” but they were very shady when i questioned them as to what that meant. They said I need to pay, via PayPal, with my debit card or direct debit from my bank account.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.