Important Notice regarding upcoming Subscription changes

not_here

PayPal is always looking to evolve our customer experiences so that we're providing the best products and solutions. To ensure that customers are receiving the newest capabilities, we continue to optimize our platform to provide the best experience to our Consumers and Merchants.

To align with these goals and deliver on those capabilities, starting in April 2019, PayPal will be making a change to the PayPal Payments Standard Subscriptions feature(s) Modify and usr_manage.

This means your integration will no longer provide the ability to modify an existing subscription or have PayPal create a username and password when signing up for a subscription, these features will no longer work. 

We’ve provided some answers to Frequently Asked Questions below. We appreciate your understanding with this upcoming change and if you have additional questions you can
Contact Us.

FAQ

Q: What changes do I need to make to my integration?
A: 
If your button

• Enables subscribers to sign up for new subscriptions and modify their current subscriptions or enables subscribers to modify only their current subscriptions, then you will need to update your button
  • Has PayPal generate usernames and initial passwords for subscribers, then you will want to stop using password management and use an alternative solution to manage this.

Q: How do I update my button? 
A: 
You can find steps to creating a new subscription button in our Create a Subscribe button documentation. 

Q: What will be the new behavior if someone tries to modify an existing subscription?
A: An error message will be displayed as this feature is no longer supported. 

Q: What will be the new behavior for Managing passwords?
A: PayPal will stop generating user name and password as well as stop sending the same in IPN and email.

Q: What regions are impacted by this change?
A: This change is for all regions

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

NoTePases
Contributor
Contributor

Please explain alternative method for modifying an existing subscription (I'm sure it is a very FAQ) and please deprecate the code from the page:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/html_example_su...

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @NoTePases 

We're in the process of updating that documentation. You can find the alternative method in our Subscriptions documentation.

Hope this helps!

Christina  

Login to Me Too

tsmjay
Contributor
Contributor

What are the workarounds for anyone already integrated with PayPal Payments Standard, that use the modify feature?

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @tsmjay 

The suggested solution is to create a new button without the modify option. You can follow the steps on how to do that in our article How do I add a PayPal payment button to my website?

If this solution doesn't work for you please let me know. 

Thanks,
Christina 

Login to Me Too

tsmjay
Contributor
Contributor

I offer digital services, so the price of the subscription is set by the customer when they check out. As the subscription amount is set by the customer, I can't use pre-generated buttons, so the checkout variables are set using the WPS HTML variables. What's the solution for someone in this situation?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

not_here

Hi @tsmjay,

A solution to your scenario could be to create your own HTML Form using PayPal Standard. In our HTML Form Basics, you will learn the basics of creating an HTML Form. And in our Recurring Payment variables, you will learn about the HTML variables available. Through this method, you should be able to achieve the expected result of the customer being able to set the price of the subscription. 

Hope this helps!

Christina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.