How do I test my button(s)?

TheZMan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to set up a "Buy Now" button on my website. I've selected the options I want and have copied and pasted the generated HTML into a page on my website.  Now, I want to test this. Unfortunately, I can't find a step-by-step process on how to do this, so I'm seeking assistance here.

I'm assuming what I have to do is when I click the 'Buy Now' button and it takes me to PayPal, I have to use the email address and password found for my account at sandbox.paypal.com.  However, when copy and paste this information at the PayPal login page, I get a message saying "Check your email address and password and try again".  

What am I doing wrong?

I tried messaging the support folks and ended up with someone who could not help me. His advice was to (somehow) create a separate button on the sandbox site and use that, but he could not direct me to where I could create this button and told me to contact technical support. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Harry Z

I have gone to sandbox.paypal.com and found the the sandbox userid email address and password. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Hi @TheZMan,

Thank you for contacting PayPal community.

We completely understand the trouble and apologize for any inconvenience.

If you create a hosted html button via live account (via www.paypal.com)

You can't use sandbox account details to test the checkout flow.

I request to please follow the below steps to test your hosted html button code.

Click on "Buy Now" button located on your website >> you will be redirected to PayPal checkout page >> use valid funding instrument which is not linked to your PayPal account(since merchants can't process own transactions).

If you have created button code via sandbox(www.sandbox.paypal.com), please follow the guide link to create personal sandbox account (i.e buyer account) to process the payment.

Thank you for understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal, Inc.

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

TheZMan
Contributor
Contributor

Aloha @MTS_Chiranjeevi . Mahalo (thank you) for taking the time to reply.  Please be patient, as I'm a total novice with PayPal. I've been using computers for over 40 years, so I know how to work with web pages, but I do not understand the Paypal "lingo".  

In this paragraph in your reply

Click on "Buy Now" button located on your website >> you will be redirected to PayPal checkout page >> use valid funding instrument which is not linked to your PayPal account(since merchants can't process own transactions).

I'm assuming that "use valid funding instrument" means use my personal credit card to charge the amount specified in the Buy Now button. This is not acceptable for testing as I will then have to have someone reimburse me.  (I'm working on this for a club I belong to)

So, your next paragraph says "If you have created button code via sandbox".   How do I do this?????  I cannot figure this out. I will need step-by-step instructions. I talked with someone from support via messaging yesterday and he could not provide directions other than to create the button in sandbox.paypal.com.  Hopefully you can assist me with this.

Harry Z

Login to Me Too

TheZMan
Contributor
Contributor

Aloha @MTS_Chiranjeevi  I still need info on how to create a button in the sandbox.  I cannot find a "how-to" guide to do this. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Hi @TheZMan,

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I request to please login to your sandbox business account via www.sandbox.paypal.com and follow the below steps to access/create PayPal hosted html buttons via sandbox environment.

Login to www.sandbox.paypal.com >> go to "https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/buttons/" >> select button type and fill the required details  >> copy and paste the button code and process testing.

Thank you for understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal, Inc.

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

TheZMan
Contributor
Contributor

Aloha @MTS_Chiranjeevi . Mahalo for posting the direct link to create the buttons in the sandbox (sandbox.paypal.com/buttons) as I could not find a way to get there via sandbox.paypal.com.  I have now created a couple of different button just to see how they look and work, and have a couple of questions for you.

From looking at the various buttons available, it appears that the "Smart Button" is the only one that offers a 'Pay with a Credit Card' option. Do any of the other buttons support this? 

Also, on the Smart Button, there is the 'Pay with PayPal Credit' option.  Is there a way to remove this option?

In case anyone else stumbles across this post and is having the same issue. A couple of hints since this is so poorly (i.e. not at all) documented:

1) you find the test userid and password at https://developer.paypal.com/developer/accounts/

2) for the test account you want to use, click the '...' at the end of the row under the 'Manage Accounts' heading and select view / edit the see the Account Details window for the information you will need to logon to (the sandbox version of) PayPal to process a test payment. 

3) Also note that when you look at the Account Details window for  the test account information, there are three tabs across the top of the window for the test account. The second tab has the credit card info.

4) And if you're testing a Smart Button that has the 'Pay with a Credit Card' option, to do this you will need the street address for your test account individual. This is not in the Account Details information. You will need to process a transaction in (sandbox) PayPal and it will then show you the address information you will need.  Note to @MTS_Chiranjeevi  this info really does need to be included in the Account Details information.

Harry Z

Login to Me Too

TheZMan
Contributor
Contributor

Aloha @MTS_Chiranjeevi .  Friendly reminder, I'm still waiting for answers to my questions posted on June 4th.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.