Has the Note to Seller been removed ?

decomplexity
Contributor
Contributor

My Paypal Payments Standard Buy Now button code uses no_note=0 and cn= <some text>.

And in my account setup Payment Receiving Preferences, Display Instructions to Seller is checked.

However, the new 'checkout experience' format does not display the message or message box.

The latest  'HTML Variables for PayPal Payments Standard' has no_note deprecated (any no_note setting is ignored) and has no mention of 'cn' .

The default for no_note is 0 - implying that the message box will always appear.

So ... has the feature been removed entirely or DAK why the new checkout format appears not to display it? 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

MTS_Ciaran

How do, welcome to the community.

The note field has been removed completely from the new checkout experience. 

Login to Me Too

goodmaninc13
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an alternative to getting a message or note from our customers? This is required for us. Thank You

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

You can add a textbox to your button code and pass the content in the "Subject" variable. 

Login to Me Too

spirani
Contributor
Contributor

Not a viable workaround.

Do better.

Fix it or disable the option.

Login to Me Too

ransom47
New Community Member

As an end user (purchaser) I can tell you this is horrible, horrible decision.

As a merchant, thank goodness I don't need to rely on this.

Stupid idea to take something that works and break it.

Login to Me Too

bfredo123
New Community Member

I am selling software and was using this field to ask for an email address where to send the license to. How can I get this mandatory information now?

Adding text fields as you suggest, aside of each PayPal buttons on my web pages is just not an option in terms of user experience.

However after a live test (who costs me the transaction fee), it looks like having a PayPal account is now mandatory to pay, in which case the email address is always provided to the seller. Can you please confirm this?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

JHebbel
Contributor
Contributor

You are doing everything wrong to begin with.

If you dont want to use the users paypal email which is already included in transactions you should have your site query for any needed info during the checkout process on your website, paypal is a payment process not a checkout process and all info needed should already be known at that point.

Encode information collected into the "custom" field so it can then be passed back and forth between paypal and your website.

You should be using a store for your website that simplifies all of this and there are many free ones available for all the major CMS's

Login to Me Too

IheardthatU
Contributor
Contributor

I use the 'note to seller' on eBay frequently and this has been an important benefit for both buyers and sellers.

Living in a smallholding off the main road some 250 metres down a dirt track means couriers often fail to find us.

The real problem with this is they cannot say (for obvious reasons) "we can't find you" instead they say you were out, we

have left a card, on their tracking website.  Then when I go to collect despite explaining - I get the No Card, No Parcel routine.

So the best option was to just use Royal Mail (when the seller offered their service) as my local postman would then deliver without

any problems - but many sellers state in the delivery details Royal Mail and then still use and send tracking details for couriers!

This became a pain and the only thing that fixed it was NOTE TO SELLER, Please use Royal Mail 'as stated' couriers often fail to find us.

The 'as stated' done the trick and sellers would refund before using a courier.

I did exactly the same for my last eBaye purchases in the last few days and then received more courier tracking notifications, why?

The message facility was there, I DID leave my message to the seller as above but on checking PayPal details, guess what...no record of

any notes, zilch, zero,  blank, nowt there! This is disgusting, at least inform people that that service is NOT functioning and then I would

not be having all this hassle again.

Why do large organizations employ graduate clowns whose job seems to be thinking up justification for making

perfectly good wheels square, and acting under the guise of progress?  PayPal you have got this Mega wrong - WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE IS NOT VERY BRIGHT!

Login to Me Too

th123456
New Community Member

Would you please provide a code snippet showing the workaround?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.