Getting Paypal approval prior to calculating shipping and tax

john5551
Contributor
Contributor

I currently do not use paypal so I'm not really familiar with what a paypal user is used to seeing as he checks out on different sites. During checkout on our site we allow payment by paypal on the final checkout page, but some customers have suggested they prefer to choose paypal early in the checkout process to avoid having to enter their shipping information during checkout.

We need the customers shipping address before we can calculate the final total, including shipping and tax. Suppose we have a case where a customer buys an item for $5.99, approves the $5.99 amount at paypal, then chooses upgraded shipping, and ends up with a total of $42.67. Is it standard procedure to now authorize and capture that full $42.67 amount based on the paypal token received during the $5.99 approval? Does the customer expect that he should have to go back to paypal to approve the higher amount? What if the customer had enough in his paypal account to approve the initial amount, but insufficient funds to cover the final amount?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @john5551,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

You can find more information here on how to set your Checkout. 

If the customer does not have enough funds on its PayPal account, the system will not allow completing the payment. In general, the customer has a bank/card used as a backup to complete the payment. 

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.