EWP Setting

kjydmd
Contributor
Contributor

Why would a website request I turn off EWP setting? Im trying to setup a golf outing and using a website that will allow people to pay to my PayPal account, but I have to turn off the Encrypted Website Payment setting in order to do this? Isnt this supposed to make the transaction secure? Why would I want to turn this off?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kjydmd 

Are you manually creating your PayPal button codes?

“The EWP feature is only required to be used for manually created buttons.”

https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/encryptedwebpay...

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kjydmd
Contributor
Contributor

Im not using a button I created, but a button on a site thats integrated with PayPal. This site is hosting our website. The already have the templates created, registrants click on buy now and it takes them to paypal to complete their purchase. The website says we have to turn the EWP setting off for this integration to work. 

Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Good day @kjydmd ,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

By default, you accept payments from encrypted and unencrypted buttons. For additional security, you can prevent buyers from sending payments to you through unencrypted buttons.

After you change this setting, we reject payments from your buyers who click an unencrypted Buy Now button, an unencrypted Donation button, or an unencrypted Subscription button. This is when you see EWP_SETTINGS error message.

If you previously blocked payments from unencrypted buttons, here’s how to accept all payments:

Login PayPal.com > Settings  >  Account Settings > Website Payments > Website preferences > Encrypted website payments > Block non-encrypted website payment >> select “Off”. 

Once the above settings is turn "off", you will no longer receive the error message.

If your still facing any issues, please create a MTS ticket via - https://www.paypal-support.com/s/?language=en_US with the detail information and error details.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal/Braintree MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

kjydmd
Contributor
Contributor

I understand the process for turning it off. Our IT Security team thinks that turning this off will make our PayPal account vulnerable. We dont have any unencrypted buttons created, the website we are trying to use is integrated with PayPal but the button they have requires the EWP setting to be off. What effects will there be if we turn off the setting?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.