Continue Shopping Link

YouRauk2021
New Community Member

Hi...
Trying to find out how to change the hyperlink in a Shopping Cart.  When I click on the CONTINUE SHOPPING link, it sends me to my main INDEX page of my website, when I actually want it to go to the page where I'm selling my items.  Help!

-jay-

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

havanah
Contributor
Contributor

Have you been able to get any help with this issue??? I realized two days ago that my "Continue shopping" button in my web sites PayPal cart is also doing this. It does not take my customers back to my web site but rather the servers building site. Not good at all for business. 

Login to Me Too

dragon-fire
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having this problem too with PayPal returning me to the main index page for the site, but only recently - it used to return me to the page I was on when adding to the cart.
This doesn't seem to be happening with Firefox, though - only in Chrome.

Login to Me Too

marpleweb
Contributor
Contributor

I've suddenly started having this problem too on a number of sites that all worked fine and now the "Continue Shopping" link takes you to the web site index page instead of the shop page that it should return you to.

Login to Me Too

CMKreuze
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering if you found a solution to the redirect from the "Continue Shopping" link on the cart page?  I'm having issues too and cannot get any help or find a solution.

Login to Me Too

havanah
Contributor
Contributor
Sadly I still have had no luck in resolving the issue and I have not seen any replies from PayPal which is disappointing. Hopefully someone will surface soon that knows how to offer a fix on this for all of us 👍
Login to Me Too

CMKreuze
Contributor
Contributor

Heather:

I received help from PayPal Merchant Technical Services. I'm going to cut and paste the message I received from them. I have done this and it worked. I had many shopping cart buttons so I edited them and tested them without pasting the code again onto my webpage. I think this worked because each button has an identifier number and the actual code isn't on my webpage. As for the "view cart", I did paste that code onto my page because the redirect is hidden inside the code. I only copied it once from the Edit Button site, then on my site, I pasted it everywhere I had a link to view cart.

So far since the edits, everything seems to be working. I'm happy. I did ask if I could share this fix, but haven't heard back from PayPal, but I don't know why I couldn't since it's an issue. 

There are 2 images that I've pasted into this message. If you do not get them, let me know and I will send them your way.

Good Luck.

Claudette

Rajat (PayPal)
Hi Claudette,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Merchant Technical Services team with your concerns. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I reviewed your ticket description and understand that you would like to setup Continue Shopping URL link on the shopping cart page. Right ?

In that case you would need to make two changes, firstly the URL where you want your customers to redirect must be added in the Add to cart button. Login into your PayPal account and go to your saved buttons. Locate the Add to cart buttons, click Edit button, go to step 3 and add the variable shopping_url as shown below (please change the URL to your desired one) :
Image_2021-07-22_14-41-49-2.png
Once you have added the variable and webpage link where you would like to redirect your users when continue shopping is clicked, click Save Changes. On the next screen you will be given a new code for this button. Copy it and paste it in a notepad. In the same screen you will find Create a View Cart button link, click on it and create a new View cart button.
Image_2021-07-22_14-43-13-3.png
Now this View Cart button will have the correct URL for the Continue Shopping link. Add both the buttons on your website and test the flow. If you are still facing any issues, please share the website URL where the buttons are added and I will help you troubleshoot the issue.

Please let me know if you have further questions or if the issue has been resolved so I can close your support ticket appropriately.

Sincerely,

Rajat
Global Technical Support
PayPal, Inc.

ref:_00D30LaY._5002E1oSLYK:ref
Login to Me Too

BobMac21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Claudette,

Thanks for posting the Continue Shopping link fix that Rajat from Paypal Tech sent to you. Unfortunately, I've been unable to make it work to return shoppers to my Purchase page rather than my Homepage. Do you have any other tips for making this work?

Best Regards,

Bob  <removed>

www.hand-l.com

Login to Me Too

dragon-fire
Contributor
Contributor

Hi BobMac21,

The workaround I use is to have two files that are identical EXCEPT for adding this line at the end of <head> section in the index.html file (a normal landing page for any given site):

<script type="text/javascript">
var url = 'https://www.[PurchasePage].html'; // Fix for PayPal's redirect to index.html. You need to know where (what *.html) you want to redirect to beforehand.
if (window.history.length > 2) {
window.location.href = url;
}

</script>

Then save a copy of the index.html (all lower case) file without that script, giving it the name you want to use as the "Home" page for the site (eg. Home.html) - the page one would return to if one wanted to return to the very first page they see when landing on your site, i.e. the Home page.
The script var should use the name of the file for the page with the PayPal form you use - the [PurchasePage] you want to return to.
The way this works is that when someone comes to your site, they arrive at the index page and that page visit is added to the history for that session. 
As they browse through the site they may want to return to that first page, to review the contents seen on the index page. When they do, they're actually taken to the practically identical Home page (without the script) rather than the index page with the script. Any time they go to your [PurchasePage] and are taken to PayPal to check the cart, add to the cart, or whatever activity is allowed by your [PurchasePage]; they then would be automatically redirected back to that [PurchasePage] (from the index page that PayPal would have the user go to) by the code on the index page which redirects from the index page (PayPal's choice) to your [PurchasePage] (your choice). The script knows they've already been to the index page so sends them directly on to the [PurchasePage].

It's all far simpler than how the explanation makes it sound!

Login to Me Too

dragon-fire
Contributor
Contributor

I should add that any links in the files on your site to return to the home page should be to:
www.[yoursite]/Home.html rather than simply www.[yoursite] as then they would link to the index.html file rather than the Home page and, having been to index.html, would be taken to the [PurchasePage] and be unable to see the Home page.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.