Checkout as Guest Option Turned on, but option not available to customers. (PayPal Standard)

adrweb
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using PayPal standard plugin.

I have turned on the "PayPal Account Optional:" in my account, but whenever I test my checkout, only the PayPal login is available and not the Checkout as guest option.

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

MTS_Ciaran

Hi, 

The guest checkout option will be shown based on your preference whenever possible, however PayPal will make a decision to not allow guest checkout in some circumstances depending on a varity of details e.g. customers browser, cookies, locale, IP etc. 

Login to Me Too

adrweb
Contributor
Contributor
Strangely it was working the other day, but the option is no longer appearing. I've tried it in a couple of different browsers with a couple of different test accounts, but it's still not available.

I'll contact PayPal directly.
Login to Me Too

adrweb
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks Ciaran

I called PP and as you said, the availability of the "Checkout as guest" feature is determined by various security factors including "customers browser, cookies, locale, IP etc. "

They advised me that they can send a ticket to request an adjustment to my security level settings. The ticket will take a couple of day to be processed and isn't guaranteed to ensure that the checkout as guest option is available, but should help.
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

If you want guest checkout to be prominently displayed all of the time then you will need to use the Express Checkout APIs instead of PayPal Standard.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

adrweb
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Express does not provide enough functinoality unfortunately.

It would be easy for PayPal to implement a default "Checkout as guest" feature on PayPal standard, but it seems like they are restricting this element of the service in order to "encourage" users onto PayPal Pro.

Incidentally, I received further communication from PayPal regarding the possible reasons why the guest checkout was not available.

"2) There could have reached the maximum number of times they can checkout as guest with that card, usually after 10 times PayPal requires you open an account."

I probably processed more than 10 test transactions using my card, so this is probably the reason why the guest checkout was not available.

I contacted PayPal directly, and they have restored my account to regular standing.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Express Checkout has a lot more features / functionality than PayPal Standard.  What is it you think it doesn't have that you're wanting?

I don't think they're trying to do anything with Standard to "encourage" people to Pro.  As mentioned, Express Checkout allows you to force guest checkout every time if you want to and you don't need Pro for that.

As you've discovered, though, they do indeed limit the number of guest checkouts any single credit card can do on an account.  That is where Pro comes in handy, as well as just the general experience for CC buyers.  If you're interested in Pro contact me directly and I may be able to get it setup for you without any monthly fee.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

xXxOlivierxXx
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old topic and I should not be resurrecting zombies, but I'm having the exact same issue and thought it would be nice to keep the discussion in one single thread.

This problem is driving me nuts, I have tried pretty much every paypal plugin out there for WooCommerce and I cannot get the "Guest Checkout" option to work. I have a paypal business account and I did enable Guest Checkouts but when I try to checkout on my store, the paypal payment website only shows an option to either login with an existing paypal account or create a new paypal account. Forcing my E-Store customers to create a paypal account is not an option, that would just make me lose customers. 

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer. This is my store https://boxerscr.com/ and this is a 1 cent test item I created for testing my paypal integration https://boxerscr.com/producto/test-item/

Login to Me Too

xXxOlivierxXx
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I have this setting enabled on my "PayPal Express Checkout" plugin but makes no difference

1.PNG

Login to Me Too

nadyaartt
Contributor
Contributor

Hey! Did you managed to fix the problem and how?I am in the same situation. Sometimes it lets me check out as a guest and sometimes I don`t have this option. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.