Automatic billing stopped working

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using Automatic payments for a while on a standard PayPal account, but recently it stopped working - with the message "This merchant is no longer authorised to offer this Autobilling plan. Please contact the merchant or choose another product."

When we queried this with PayPal support, they said that one has to have a business account for this feature.

Is that new? I can't understand how it worked before! Maybe the Standard account can have up to a certain number of subscriptions before giving this message.

I'd forgotten quite how horrible PayPal is for the uninitiated! Once you know, it seems kind of obvious.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone else has this problem, I did find the solution.

Go into tools/recurring payments

Click "Create a Subscription Button"

Change the "Choose a button topic" to "Automatic Billing"

- you should then see some text saying "Website Payments Standard premium services" 

Click the "Learn More" button

You will see some Terms and Conditions telling you what you're signing up for and how much it costs*

* Except the link to the costs is broken, but nobody reads T&C's right?

Click "Agree and Continue" (hoping that the fees are reasonable)

That is it!

If you have another go at creating an Automatic Billing button, it should allow you to fully specify and save it.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

MTS_Ciaran

I'm guessing this error happens during the subscription sign up right? Can you post the link to where we can test and see the error? Or a screenshot of the error?

Login to Me Too

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

This was working fine for the last 3 months or so. Now things suddenly changed and I'm unsure as to whether PayPal have changed their policy regarding who is entitled to set up automatic payments.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Thanks. Can you share a link to where I can test this?

Login to Me Too

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

Mmmmmm. Yes. 

If you go to http://my.dmclub.net

Login as "paypaltest(at)digitalmail.com" with pwd "1234"

Then click on "AutoPay" (in the section marked "Accounts: credit, orders and payments")

Then click on "+ NEW Connect AutoPay to a PayPal account..."

Then click on "Automatic Billing" 

You'll see this error message!

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Perfecto.... sooooo looks like the Auto Billing Product was disabled on your account on October 4th, from what I can see it was done via the PayPal account. Anyway, you can get this reenabled by contacting our business support team. http://paypal.com/contactus

Please request to be enabled for enhanced recurring payments. 

Login to Me Too

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.

Ah yes, we asked for that to happen on 28th October - and that it would take 5 working days - but it didn't. No idea why!

And it still doesn't explain how we were able to use Automatic Billing on a fee-free basis before then.

Login to Me Too

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

...also, the way in which the system simply hides the "Create Button" button when trying to create an Automatic Billing button is just nuts! Although I've got to say not atypical of PayPal's user experience.

Login to Me Too

digitalmail
Contributor
Contributor

What does "from what I can see it was done via the PayPal account." mean?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.