Security Card Key problems - no security codes show up ...

cloudycity
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a security card and tried to activate it.  Pushing the "Press" button does nothing except one time where I got a number - not sure what I did Smiley Sad.  I've tried waiting a long time after pressing, and pressing for a long time, but 

What am I doing wrong?

Tom

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

MtnWoodworker
Contributor
Contributor

I had to replace my old security token with the new card a few months ago. The card was always very difficult to use. I had to press on it with a hard object to get it to display a key code. Now, only four months later it no longer works at all. I just ordered a replacement.

The card delivered a disappointing PayPal experience. I avoided using Paypal and Ebay just because the card was so difficult to use.

The old token was larger, but at least it always worked easily.

I can only hope that the replacement card delivers a positive experience.

Login to Me Too

msc
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, with a card Just received in the mail. They obviously haven't gotten this solved, and haven't stopped shipping the problem cards. Not only is mine nearly impossible to press, it just gives the same number over and over.

This customer experience was further 'enhanced' by calling the toll-free support number on Paypal's web site, and getting a recorded message directing me to their pay-per-call number.

Login to Me Too

cloudycity
Contributor
Contributor

I'm the one that started this thread and gave up on using the card a long time ago.  Very frustrated with pay pal - kind of hoping a good alternative will show up some day.

Login to Me Too

BNB
Contributor
Contributor

This is just ridiculous! I'm only on my second card but my gosh, I'm killing my thumb trying to push hard, then killing it again by trying to bend the card slightly while pushing. Mine will still not work each time I need it to, so I reactivated my original key fob thingy while the battery is still working. It's inexcusable  to have to do business this way!

It's very nice that PayPal and others have given us some options to try to get the thing to work, but come on ............. Are they going to send a perfected one (whenever that happens) to each of us that are having this problem?

Login to Me Too

cloudycity
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't the card and this opportunity to test them for Paypal cost us $5?

Login to Me Too

druidone
New Community Member

Ref is made to a serial number...I was not aware my PayPal account had such a feature in the pat 12 years! Where would I find this info to allow security key to be activated? Tried cal;ling but just listened to 15 min of standard retoric that has no application here and no person there. Need a key or need to close the account to avoid unauthorized charges you cannot reverse ,or fail to in any event.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi druidone,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

You can order a security key here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_setup-security-key

You can order a credit-card sized physical security key for a fee or use it on your mobile device for free.  If you already have a "VeriSign Identity Protection (VIP)" device you can use that with our site as well.  The physical devices also work on any website that uses the VeriSign Identity Protection (VIP) for 2 factor authentication.

Below: Screenshot of security key options available with PayPal. Please note that buttons will not work as this is a screenshot. You can access this page by clicking the link provided above.

seckeyoptions.JPG

As an alternative for smart phone users, there is also a VeriSign VIP Access App available in the Android Market, Apple®App Store and Windows Phone 7 Marketplace.  Just search for "VIP Access" to find the app.

I hope these alternatives are helpful to everyone having issues with the physical security key card.  If you prefer to have a physical card and yours is still not working, please contact Customer Service to request a replacement.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

msc
Contributor
Contributor

This is a completely tone deaf response. Have you even read the messages in this thread?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi msc,

Sorry 😞

Yes, I've read the whole thread.  I apologize if my response did not address a particular question or concern you had previously posted.  We received most of these reports earlier this year and at this point a large majority of the security key cards received are working as expected. In cases where they are arriving defective, we are sending out replacements.  Most of the replacements we are sending resolve the issue.

I understand that some of the posters in this thread have had numerous cards with the same issue. The best solution we can offer at this point is to contact Customer Service  to have us send a replacement.   I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.  In the mean time, there are free alternatives (see my previous post) to the physical security key card that can be used until a working card is received. 

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

msc
Contributor
Contributor

I've already contacted customer support, and never received a response.

Ans the link you posted today give me this:

paypal.png

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.