How do I know if a particular merchant accepts PayPal but NOT PayPal SmartConnect??

brerg8r
Contributor
Contributor

I did not know that some merchants (iTunes for example) will take PayPal as a method of payment, but not PayPal SmartConnect, so when I ran $12.98 worth of charges thru iTunes, it went straight to my bank account, which I was not expecting and cannot afford (thus the reason for having the SmartConnect credit line) - but when I had bought something at two other merchants onine prio to that, PayPal did charge it against my SmartConnect line of credit. That makes no sense at all to me - why would the merchant care about the arrangement between me and PayPal for a credit line?

So how do I know in advance if a PayPal merchant such as iTunes does not accept SmartConnect?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ginac97
Contributor
Contributor

I just had this problem. When I called paypal to find out what was going on I was told that not all merchants who accept paypal accept paypal smart connect and that there is no way to know in advance. It would be nice if that were mentioned when we singed up for the account because I now have a $205.00 ebay bid I have to scramble to pay for when I was expecting to pay for with my SC account and pay later. (like they advertise) I am beyond furious.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.