Confirm PayPal Mobile - Not receiving SMS text message to confirm phone number!!!!

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I try to link my mobile number to my Paypal account but I never receive the confirmation SMS text message that they say has been sent..  My phone number is entered correctly..  My phone number is set to "mobile" in my profile preferences..  I click the "Re-Send" button but I never receive the SMS text message, so I can't enter my confirmation code !!!!    I see alot of members are having the same problem but their posts are not getting any replies besides "make sure your phone number is entered correctly"  or  "make sure your phone number listed in your profile is set to MOBILE".    HELLO PAYPAL!!!!!   It's the right number and it's set to mobile.!!!   So why aren't I getting the text message from you so I can enter my confirmation code?????????    And by the way, my carrier is T-Mobile and I have UNLIMITED SMS MESSAGING on my plan...  Oh, AND my account is paid up to date.!!!!!!!   So please explain to me why I am not getting the confirmation code sent to my mobile phone????

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

Super_Dave
New Community Member

This is getting a little ridiculous.  I had my security key in use for a couple of years, then I switch cell phone companies and port my number over, and PayPal can no longer send me a SMS message.  Now I have my account set up without a security key.  I contacted Paypal Help and explained what was happening and never received a response back even after two weeks.

Login to Me Too

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

h2o,

For anybody wondering, a security key is basically a 2nd password stage to login to your PayPal account.  I tried registering for a security key, (go to profile- settings- security key) by entering my mobile number but I never received a text msg from PayPal that is supposed to contain my confirmation number.  Without this confirmation number the security key feature will not be available for you.

I know from talking to a rep on the phone that your mobile number can only be listed on ONE paypal account.  If you have the same cell number listed on multiple accounts, then paypal system will "loop" because it doesn't know what account you're trying to tie your cell phone to.  However, I have removed my cell number from all but one account and I still can't receive a text confirmation from PayPal.  I went one step further and cancelled all but one of my accounts but still can't receive text confirmations.  Does one need a smart-phone to get paypal texts??

Login to Me Too

h2o
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if you have to have a Smartphone. However, I just got a Smartphone last week.

I downloaded the Mobile Paypal app to send and receive money via cell phone number or email, and never received the SMS code so could not verify that way.

I then logged in to Paypal and got a Security Key (which means every time I log in on my computer, I hit a button to send SMS code to my phone, then have to enter code on my computer to login - it is annoying, but more secure, but it can be de-activated any time).

I messed around with the app on phone and was able to create a PIN number to login to Paypal on the smartphone; however, I haven't tried to send or receive money, so I don't know if it will work or not.

I only have one Paypal account and the mobile number is showing as activated and I am getting the SMS Security Key codes on my mobile phone to use to login on my computer.

I think, but I am only guessing, that even though I never got the code when I put the app on my smartphone, that if my mobile number is showing activated on account, that it is working. Just haven't had the need to send or receive money yet to test it.

Login to Me Too

Woodysbell

I have a BlackBerry smart phone and still cannot get the text confirmation.  I have SMS turned on and unlimited texting with Sprint.  This is very frustrating.

Login to Me Too

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I wish somebody from PAYPAL would reply to this thread.!!  Does anyone know how to put this thread in front of a PAYPAL rep.????  PLEASE DO IT..Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

actd
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem - my carrier is t-mobile, and my phone is only linked to a single account (though it was listed twice for some reason, with the second unlinked, so have removed that one)

I had the security key already set up (this meant that whenever I logged into paypal to make a payment etc, I was sent a text with a 6 digit code to enter on the website, to authenticate that it was genuinely me) - this caused me a problem logging onto paypal on my phone as it wanted my security key phone as part of the password and failed every time to log in. Contacted paypal who said that the security key needed to be removed, which they did, so I could then log in using my usename and password, Tried setting up the PIN again, repeatedly, both online and via my smartphone. Each time I received a confirmation email stating that my PIN had been changed, but no SMS message. On Paypal's advice, contacted t-mobile, who said that my account was barred from receiving marketing texts, so they removed this barr. Tried again to set up PIN, got the confirmation emails, but still no SMS messages, so I'm still no closer. Unless I can get this working with a PIN, I won't use paypal from my phone as logging in with the password is a nuisance.

Would be nice to have a solution to this.

Login to Me Too

JeffBenedict
Contributor
Contributor

I sent them an email from my normal account regarding this topic.  I asked them to have someone from Pay-Pal read over it and let us know what's going on.... Fingers crossed...

Login to Me Too

h2o
Contributor
Contributor

Great! You know, PayPal should really be on top of this. After all, they make money sending and receiving money!

Login to Me Too

actd
Contributor
Contributor

What puzzles me most is that I have given up with the PIN for the moment and re-instated the SecurityID - when I activated this, I was sent a confirmation SMS, which did arrive almost instantly, and when I log onto Paypal, again it sends me the security check SMS every time, so I can't see how it can be t-mobile, it has to be that Paypal aren't sending the SMS, or it's being blocked at their end.

Login to Me Too

h2o
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly! The same with me ... I receive the SMS Security Key Code almost instantly, but not the code to activate and link mobile phone.

I did however manage to create a PIN on the mobile app and am able to get balance and account information, etc.

... and have buttons to send or receive money. I just don't know if it works!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.