PayPal Here technical details

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Please, does anyone know how the PayPal Here card reader does it's thing?  I know it connects to the phone via bluetooth.  OK, but does the phone need to be connected to the net, nailed up, via Wifi, for the transactions to be processed?  Or, is the phone linked via G3?  Is it a phone call, for every transaction?  I just need to understand how the technical side of the connection works. The reason being, I think one of these would be handy for selling my products at festivals. But if it requires Wifi, and many festivals are deep in the country, away from Wifi, it's going to be pretty useless.  I need to know, ugently, please.  Anyone know??  thanks

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

ardenwoodcraft
New Community Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum and a new Paypal here user.

I have my reader paired to an Iphone and find that it works over wi-fi or 3G.

As I understand the system at a basic level, you pair your reader to your phone using the blue tooth connection, then your phone connects to either your wi-fi connection or your phone network depending on availability and your location for the data to be sent. To keep mobile network data costs down I think the more you use wi-fi then the cheaper it would be. At events like festivals I think your only option may be a mobile network data connection. 

I am currently using my reader paired via bluetooth to my Iphone, with my Iphone connected via wi-fi to my broadband router and it seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps anyone who is trying to understand the system so their data costs can be monitored.

Dave.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi ardenwoodcraft,

Welcome to the community and thanks for keeping everyone in the loop!

We are here to help if you need anything going forward Smiley Happy

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.