Damage to Reader Detected

Stitch-Up
Contributor
Contributor

We purchased our PayPal card reader in October 2015 - it arrived all nicely packaged in a clear perspex box on 3rd October.

I removed it from the packaging, followed the instructions to download, configure and 'link' the reader and all worked well. Since then, the card reader has lived back in it's perspex box until yesterday 2nd August when I unpackaged it for the 2nd time to carry out a transaction. I chatged the reader with the supplied USB cable and everything seemed fine as it started up but then I was presented with the display message:

Damage to reader detected. Contact PayPal for assistance.

I contacted PayPal as suggested and in short was told I'd have to buy a replacement as the one I have must be physically damaged!!!

Having researched the problem on this community and online, it seems this is a very common problem. In my case, there's no physical damage and I suspect a software/firmware issue that is totaly beyond my control.

I'm really miffed that I'm expected to pay for a replacement as it clearly is not my fault - I feel a bit scammed to be honest. I know the unit is out of warranty but with just two uses, one to set it up and check all is okay when I originally received it and the second time to carry out a transaction that couldn't be completed because of the error, this is NOT my fault.

I did try to reset the unit as instructed by PayPal support but as soon as I press the reset button, instead of seeing the expected green triangle, my unit starts up and then displays the error.

Not happy

Regards

John

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
Very annoying for you but unfortunately there is nothing we can do on here but sympathise.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stitch-Up
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't really expect a solution but I did want to voice my thoughts.

My advice to others in a similar situation - there are many other card payment solutions out there so you don't have to accept unfair decisions.

Regards

John

Login to Me Too

MEverson
New Community Member

I've had the same problem and the same lame solution. If I ran my business like this I wouldn't have any customers. 

Thankfully there are other services I can use to accept credit cards.

my option of PayPal has taken a major hit.

Login to Me Too

Stitch-Up
Contributor
Contributor

I discovered lots of users have this very same issue. Personally I don't believe Paypal when they tell me my 'Brand New Unit' is faulty and I need to PAY for a replacement.

I smell a rat, but then again, I suppose we should expect it from the banking industry that caused near financial collapse with their criminality and now expect us to bail them out.

Login to Me Too

DavidJRobinson
New Community Member

My first unit failed straight out of the box.

The second has been used for two days, over a year ago, and then popped back into its original packaging and kept it safe.

It was working fine when it was put away. I got it out and powered it up today and guess what... "Damage To Reader detected".

Just HOW does a working unit, switched off and NOT used, get damaged when it has sat in its protective plastic box for a year?

PayPal, it is NOT damaged - it's in 'new' condition and somehow developed this fault without even seeing a card that could damage it. Im really not impressed since I trusted the **bleep** thing and needed to use it tomorrow!

I have emailed you and expect a free replacement for your 'not fit for purpose' goods.

Frankly, with your 'higher than the rest' fees, and an online reputation for units that fail, you should be taking a serious look at this product and fixing it.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi DavidJRobinson,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

Please contact our PayPal Here team directly on <removed> or <removed>.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

MsCA18
Contributor
Contributor

I checked in here to find solution for my card reader which I have not used except for when it arrived to test it and it worked first time.

Tried to use it at my event it wont connect so Packed it up in original pack, it still has it's seal and today decided to try it again, it's saying Damaged contact PayPal.

So money lost. Should I bin it then? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MsCA18

Well if you don't want to take the advice given by the mod above OR the message on your reader then i suppose yes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi MsCA18,

Welcome to the PayPal community and I am sorry for the negative experience you are having with your PayPal Here reader.

I would advise you to contact the PayPal Here team directly at: <removed> or <removed>. They will be able to help you further regarding this.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.