Cheap printer for Paypal Here AT LAST !!!

jatcee43
Contributor
Contributor

Many people have the issue of needing to print receipts for card payments. Here is a cheap solution.

Currently Paypal Here allows receipt printing on a very limited range of Star Micronics and Woosim Bluetooth printers. These are a quite expensive investment for the small trader.

Well it turns out that the Paypal Here Android application driver for a Woosim printer uses the Epson ESC/POS command set.

I bought a cheap 58mm Bluetooth printer for £35 and there are many being advertised on eBay. The printer came with a little CD containing a Windows utility to enable limited configuration of the printer when connected via a USB cable. One of the things I was able to do was change the printer name to Woosim. Hey presto, when connected to the Paypal Here Android phone app via bluetooth, the printer was recognised as a Woosim printer and is printing my customers receipts with no issues.  If you want to try this, make sure you buy a printer with the ESC/POS command set. Most cheap chinese printers allow you to change the printer name by means of Windows utilities. No guarantees but it worked for me.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_david

Hi Jatcee43.

Thanks for providing this information. This may be very helpful to other users Smiley Happy

David.

Login to Me Too

jatcee43
Contributor
Contributor

Supplementary

I am using the Paypal Here Android app so am unable to test the low cost printer fix with the iPhone app. Please report if it works on the iPhone if you try it.

I believe it may work for the Star printer driver if the low cost printer supports the Star command set. Having studied the Star command set specifications, I believe the printer name would need to be set to Star Micronics. It would be great if somebody would try it and report back to this thread.

After all, these cheap Chinese bluetooth printers cost less than a trading pitch for the day. I think many traders are put off the Paypal Here system by the lack of affordable receipt printing. Maybe Paypal should do some work in this area to show that it is not such a big issue.

Login to Me Too

Koj1888
Contributor
Contributor

Hi what code did you select for printer so that it prints £ sign

Login to Me Too

jatcee43
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, The printer I bought defaulted to £ symbol so I had to do nothing. Maybe need to select UK character set somehow. Printers should have setup app on CD to set code page which sets language. On my printer, code page 0 is standard Europe or codepage 6 is Western Europe. If you run the self test routine, you should get a code page listing.
Login to Me Too

Farushku
New Community Member
Hi Did you manage to print £? I bought an excelven printer and did not print the £ and ¥ symbol.
Login to Me Too

ggyy22
Contributor
Contributor
could you show me step by step how to change the printer name to Woosim? thank you 🙂
Login to Me Too

FocalZoom
New Community Member

Hi, 

What was the name of the printer you bought?

Login to Me Too

DandELLE1

Has anyone found a way to make a POS-5805DD work with the app on an iPad? I tried woosim, as the name and it was still unable to connect.  I tried Star Micronics as well.

Login to Me Too

darkteckno
New Community Member
What is the make and model printer please?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.