Card reader software update troubleshooting Tuesday 6th of December

PayPal_paula

Card reader software updates

The software update that will take place on Tuesday 6th December only applies to customers who are using the black PayPal Here Chip & PIN card reader with Contactless functionality. There will be no software update for the first generation white PayPal Here Chip & PIN card reader.

At PayPal, we strive to provide you with reliable and secure methods to accept payments for your business. As part of this practice, we periodically need to make updates to our software.

On the morning of Tuesday 6th December we will release a software update for the PayPal Here card reader. To continue using your card reader you will need to install this update.

After 7am on Tuesday 6th December, please follow these simple steps to start your update:

• Log into the PayPal Here App, or the partner app that you use to take card payments
  • Connect your card reader
  • Follow the prompts that will guide you through the software upgrade
  • After this is complete you will be ready to take transactions

The process will take up to 15 minutes and we highly recommend you to use a Wi-Fi connection. Before you begin the update, please ensure that your mobile device and card reader are charged. While the update is in progress do not minimize the app or perform any other touch gestures on your mobile device.

The software update will resolve a problem that may have affected your card reader’s ability to accept Chip & PIN payments.

Troubleshooting

If you are unable to complete the software update, if the process is interrupted or if you get an error message during/upon completing the update, please try each of these steps until the update completes successfully:

• Terminate the PayPal Here app, restart it and try the update again
  • Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smartphone/tablet and forget then re-pair your card reader, and try the update again
  • Restart your card reader by holding down the power button to shut it down, and pressing the power button to turn it back on, and try the update again

If the update continues to fail, terminate the app and perform a factory reset on the card reader:

1. Locate the small opening next to the power button on the Chip & PIN card reader
  2. Insert a pin into this opening.

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

BasPP
Contributor
Contributor

If you are having trouble connecting your card reader via Bluetooth on iOS, you can try these steps:

1. Forget the card reader in your iPhone's Bluetooth settings

2. Turn off Bluetooth in your iPhone's Bluetooth settings

3. Turn on Bluetooth in your iPhone's Bluetooth settings

4. Your card reader should appear in the list of available devices, tap on it to connect

Login to Me Too

paul1622
New Community Member

Hi

i have tried all of the items listed below and I do not get any prompt to update the reader at all.

Login to Me Too

BasPP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi paul1622,

If you are currently able to take card payments with the card reader there is nothing to worry about. It means that either your reader already has the latest software installed, or at this moment there is no software update available for your reader. The latter could be the case if for example you are using one of our 1st generation white card readers, or if you are using PayPal Here through one of our POS software partners.

Apologies for the confusion. If you're currently able to accept payment with the reader you are fine! If you're unable to take card payments I suggest you contact PayPal customer service.

Login to Me Too

Grahame23
New Community Member

Downloaded and installed update OK, but card reader was showing "restarting card reader...." for about an hour now and nothing was happening.

Quit and restarted app, it worked second time.

Login to Me Too

SaxonPrint
New Community Member

I tried this and it worked perfectly. Thanks Grahame23

Login to Me Too

Zeemoonvapez
New Community Member
We cannot accept payments. Paypal customer servicenis closed on the weekend. Black v2 machine pairs. But disconnects when we try to yake a card payment. Need help. Left in the crap here. Poor service. And we process high volume
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.