Card reader software update troubleshooting Tuesday 6th of December

PayPal_paula

Card reader software updates

The software update that will take place on Tuesday 6th December only applies to customers who are using the black PayPal Here Chip & PIN card reader with Contactless functionality. There will be no software update for the first generation white PayPal Here Chip & PIN card reader.

At PayPal, we strive to provide you with reliable and secure methods to accept payments for your business. As part of this practice, we periodically need to make updates to our software.

On the morning of Tuesday 6th December we will release a software update for the PayPal Here card reader. To continue using your card reader you will need to install this update.

After 7am on Tuesday 6th December, please follow these simple steps to start your update:

• Log into the PayPal Here App, or the partner app that you use to take card payments
  • Connect your card reader
  • Follow the prompts that will guide you through the software upgrade
  • After this is complete you will be ready to take transactions

The process will take up to 15 minutes and we highly recommend you to use a Wi-Fi connection. Before you begin the update, please ensure that your mobile device and card reader are charged. While the update is in progress do not minimize the app or perform any other touch gestures on your mobile device.

The software update will resolve a problem that may have affected your card reader’s ability to accept Chip & PIN payments.

Troubleshooting

If you are unable to complete the software update, if the process is interrupted or if you get an error message during/upon completing the update, please try each of these steps until the update completes successfully:

• Terminate the PayPal Here app, restart it and try the update again
  • Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smartphone/tablet and forget then re-pair your card reader, and try the update again
  • Restart your card reader by holding down the power button to shut it down, and pressing the power button to turn it back on, and try the update again

If the update continues to fail, terminate the app and perform a factory reset on the card reader:

1. Locate the small opening next to the power button on the Chip & PIN card reader
  2. Insert a pin into this opening.

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Scribblecity
Contributor
Contributor
The PayPal here App still crashes on iPhone 7 with latest software iOS 10
Login to Me Too

pavcook
Contributor
Contributor

the card reader is just saying 'softwear update is required, but then nothing else happens and the card reader powers down?

Login to Me Too

AndrewFrog
New Community Member

That is all I get too.

Login to Me Too

Tony39
New Community Member

I'm unable to up date either. Tells me i need to update the fades away. Reader is fullt charged!!

Login to Me Too

BasPP
Contributor
Contributor

If your card reader is connected to the PayPal Here app and you have not yet installed the software update, the app should display a 'Update Required' notification with a 'Update' button. Tapping the 'Update' button should start the update process.

If this notification does not appear, and you still need to install the software update, there are a few ways to start the update process yourself:

Option 1:

a. Ensure the card reader is switched on and connected to the PayPal Here app

b. Tap on the menu option in the top right corner of the screen

c. Tap on Card Readers

d. The screen should confirm that the card reader is connected to the app. Tap on the Card Reader

e. Tap on the Install Update button to start the update process

Option 2:

b. On the screen where you enter the amount or items to charge your customer, you should see a rectangular symbol with an exclamation mark to the right next to the total amount that is displayed in the center of the screen

c. Tap on the rectangular symbol with the exclamation mark

d. You should see a notification about the software update. Tap on the 'Update now' link.

Option 3:

b. Type an amount as if you are going to charge a customer

c. Tap the 'Charge' button at the top of the screen

d. You should see a notification about the software update. Tap on the 'Update now' link.

If this and the other troubleshooting tips don't work, contact PayPal Here customer service on <removed> or <removed>.

Login to Me Too

pottery
Contributor
Contributor

tried all of the above and still doesn't work!

Login to Me Too

Titansports
New Community Member

Come on PayPal. Did you not test this update before you made it available?? Really very poor.

Login to Me Too

mikeB123

Busy day - 1 hour lost so far trying to update, why does this happen so often, TEST IT FIRST !!!!!!!  Peed off from Berkshire

Login to Me Too

mikeB123

have removed the bluetooth connection to reconnect and it will not even show, iphone six plus on the latest ios 10.11

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.