Location problem

Dutchbarn
New Community Member

Hello, I have been trying to use the PayPal here card reader today with no success. When I first used it about a month ago it was all working great and I accepted several payments on that day. However, now I come to use it again and it just keeps saying I need to disclose the location on the device to be able to proceed. I have made sure the location is switched on, re started and re installed but just keep getting this message. Anyone have any ideas?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Dutchbarn,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty with the reader. 

Can I firstly ask that you remove the app -> Turn off location -> Turn back on location -> Reinstall the app. This should resolve any issues with the reader picking up on location. 

Please let us know how you get on,

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

amazon196969
Contributor
Contributor

Siohban,

I am having these issues also...although I have given up on the reader now and just using the app on it's own...(or trying to!!) 

I have been advised to return the reader as have had numerous issues with it...since reseting reader and reinstalling app etc I am now faced with the location issue...seems never ending issues!!! So I have again reinstalled app and followed your advice with no change...While I think there are connecting issues with the reader I think the bigger issue is within the app...

Login to Me Too

oneerc
Contributor
Contributor
Doesn't help
Login to Me Too

wownew
New Community Member

Figured it out for android. Need to set your location to high accuracy using bluetooth network connection. Adroid will then popup a 'Google' prompt about sharing your location data anonymously when the phoen is turned on with 'google'. Now you need to select yes to this in order for the paypal here app to function. So this appears to be where the gateway is that i got stuck. Not enitrely comfotable with sharing location data with Google, just to use this app. I might just turn it on only when i need it then de-activate for the rest of the time. Beware of your privacy wih these smart phones people.

Login to Me Too

Cherylann22
Contributor
Contributor
I have mine set for high accuracy location and it still won't swipe. Very frustrating when you have a line if people trying to pay! It does it randomly whether I'm inside a building or outside. I'm nearly ready to switch to another payment company. When I called paypal they are of no help at all.
Login to Me Too

Hatmaker
Contributor
Contributor

I've also had this problem and it was extremely annoying and I lost a sale at a craft market because of it. Despite location setting being on I kept getting this message:

PayPal needs your location.

For customer and market security, this application requires you to disclose your location.

Please enable network and/or GPS location services via your phone settings, then use the back key to return to PayPal Here.

But there was nothing to indicate how to change the settings!

Eventually by experimenting at home I found that you have to 'share your real time location' for as long as you want to use the reader.

What I did (on my Samsung phone):

Google icon ==>  location ==> Google location sharing ==> + (shared via Bluetooth) ==> Share your real time location : set to one hour, or longer (you chose)  ==>  save (well hidden right at bottom of screen). Then it worked.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH, PAYPAL!! iit really should not be that difficult to make a sale.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.