cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Change to PayPal Subscriptions

Highlighted

Upcoming Change to PayPal Subscriptions

Beginning February 1, 2018 March 15th 2018 April 30th May 15th changes will be made to the way PayPal creates, manages, and displays subscriptions. Below is a FAQ related to the upcoming changes being made to PayPal subscriptions.

My current S- Subscription ID look like S-XXXXXXXX. What can I expect the new ID's to look like after this migration?
All new I- subscriptions created will have subscription ID which looks like I-XXXXXXXX.

Will there be any impact to my existing S- Subscriptions?
No, there will not be any impact to your existing S- Subscriptions, only the new subscriptions created will be of type I-.

Will there be any change in merchant integration?
No, we do not anticipate any change in merchant integration except one field value in subscr_payment IPN. There is no change for subscr_signup and subscr_cancel IPNs.

What is the field value change to be expected in the subscr_payment IPN when it is migrated to I- Subscriptions?
The minor change in subscr_payment IPN is in transaction_subject:

• in case of S-: transaction_subject has 'custom_code' value
  • in case of I- : transaction_subject has the 'item_name' related to the subscription

Please note that the 'custom_code' value is available in another field custom in the same subscr_payment IPN.

What will happen to subscr_eot IPN which is sent for S- Subscription but not for I- Subscriptions?
subscr_eot IPN will be supported for the new I- Subscriptions created for those merchants who have S- Subscriptions.

What improvements are expected in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions?
The last payment due and transaction history (related to subscription) is shown in the merchant profile page for I- Subscription.

What field is deprecated in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions?
The item_number and custom_number will not be shown in the merchant profile page for I- Subscriptions.

What happens if the payment fails?

In case of I- subscriptions, subscription gets suspended and can be reactivated later. In case of S-, it gets cancelled.

Will I continue to receive notification email for new I- Subscriptions?
Yes, emails will be sent to merchants for subscription signup, payment, EOT and cancellation. The templates are going to be different and modernized for I- Subscriptions.

Will there be any change when the term of subscription ends?
Yes, in S- subscription it is shown as completed whereas for I- subscription it is shown as expired.

When can I expect to get my existing S- Subscription migrated to I-?
Once the migration of the new subscription to I- is completed, the existing S- Subscription will be migrated through a batch process. We will let you know regarding the same in January 2018.

41 REPLIES
Contributor

Migration

Hi, There appears to be conflicting info here regarding what will happen to existing S- subs.

It says there will be no change to exisiting S- subscriptions:

Will there be any impact to my existing S- Subscriptions?
No, there will not be any impact to your existing S- Subscriptions, only the new subscriptions created will be of type I-.

But then it says S- subscriptions will be migrated to I-:

When can I expect to get my existing S- Subscription migrated to I-?

...the existing S- Subscription will be migrated through a batch process. We will let you know regarding the same in January 2018.

Please clarify what will happen to exisiting S- subscriptions.

Thank You

Re: Migration

The change happening on Feb 1st has no impact to existing S- subscriptions, but, in the future these will be migrated over to I-, no solid date for when that will happen. Once we have more details around this we will share information in relation to that specific change. 

Contributor

Got it.

So the old S- subscription signup form below will still work, but they'll be created as I- subs instead? Can the notification url still be custom or will it default to the one specified in the PP account?

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="a1" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="p1" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="t1" value="M">

<input type="hidden" name="sra" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="src" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="t3" value="M">
<input type="hidden" name="p3" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="a3" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="bn" value="PP-SubscriptionsBF">
<input type="hidden" name="lc" value="US">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input name="return" type="hidden" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="cancel_return" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="xxx">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick-subscriptions">
<input type="hidden" name="notify_url" value="xxx">
<p align="center">
<input type="image" border="0" src="/images/paypal.png" width="125">
</form>

cool.... the notification/IPN mechanism will continue to work as it does today. 

Contributor

Will the old subscription button form for S subs still work or need to use express checkout?

old button form will continue to work as normal, the only difference being that the subscriptions being created will have an "I-" instead of an "S-". 

Contributor

Ok, but how about the IPN message?

S-subs use txn_type subscr_signup, subscr_payemnt, where I-subs use recurring_payment_profile_created, etc. Which IPN message will be sent for these new I-subs created from the old S-sub html button?

there is no changes to the subscr_signup IPN message. 

Contributor

Just to be totally clear. I-Subscriptions created from the old html buttons will still receive S- type IPN messages and not I-type recurring_payment_profile IPN messages?