Did paypal change meaning of cancel url? Or is it a bug?

TheGodlyNoob
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, I came across this post on stackoverflow and it is EXACTLY my issue, everything used to work fine and now since about a month ago, it is not possible to finish a payment successfully on my website because of this issue ( yes it will pay, but they won't get their subscription updated because they won't get to the confirmation page successfully ).

Here is the issue : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40294214/did-paypal-change-meaning-of-cancel-url-or-is-it-a-bug

Is paypal changing the cancel_return which means I'll have to update my website or is this a bug?? because as he states in the thread : 

PayPal's documentation for cancel_return says

A URL to which PayPal redirects the buyers' browsers if they cancel checkout before completing their payments. For example, specify a URL on your website that displays a "Payment Canceled" page. Default — PayPal redirects the browser to a PayPal webpage.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Ciaran

Just checked the lastest example on the account and I can see that we definitely redirected back to the return URL, not the cancel URL. T

here was a CreateRecurringPaymentProfile API call made against thst EC token as well, but it failed with this error:

shortmessage "Start Date should be greater than current date"
longmessage "Subscription start date should be greater than current date"

Reason for that is because of the start date passed in the API call to PayPal:

profilestartdate "2016-01-08T00:00:00Z"

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

MTS_Ciaran

Hi,

Can you post a link to where I can test this please?

The cancel_return URL should only be called in the case of the cancel link being selected. 

Login to Me Too

TheGodlyNoob
Contributor
Contributor

MTS_Ciaran

So this integration is Express Checkout, the issue mentioned on Stackoverflow was WPS so some differences. I've checked the flow and can see that the values we're using for redirect and cancel are below:

returnurl "http://www.iscrape.pw/Account/Confirm"
cancelurl "http://www.iscrape.pw/Error/Cancel"

Can you confirm that all users are getting the same behaviour?

Login to Me Too

TheGodlyNoob
Contributor
Contributor

I confirm that every users are now experiencing this issue ( everything has been working fine for months ). 
I've tested it by my own and it gave me the issue.

This makes me unable to automatically add the subscription to their account.

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Ciaran

Just checked the lastest example on the account and I can see that we definitely redirected back to the return URL, not the cancel URL. T

here was a CreateRecurringPaymentProfile API call made against thst EC token as well, but it failed with this error:

shortmessage "Start Date should be greater than current date"
longmessage "Subscription start date should be greater than current date"

Reason for that is because of the start date passed in the API call to PayPal:

profilestartdate "2016-01-08T00:00:00Z"
Login to Me Too

TheGodlyNoob
Contributor
Contributor

Right, I'm stupid (overthinked a lot because I've seen that stackoverflow post ), issue is just me using datetime.now and not checking if we're in december, which means if I add a month ( 12+1 = january ), it wasn't changing the year ( 2016+1) 

thanks, sorry for your time... 

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

No problem 🙂 Anything else ping us here. Glad to assist. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.